H/K 730 vs. Sony STR DE697,

arfandbark

Been running the Harman Kardon through it paces over a couple weeks now and found it to be everything it was talked up to be... I use a lot of bass when I listen due to my own preferences which doesn't bother the Corns at all(chair rattling @ low volume).

After having this receiver for the blissful month I've had it I recognize it's limitations and am more than happy to live within them for now.

Thank you good people for steering me in the right direction.

ANYWAYS, whilst I was jamming along tonight my son decided to put his Sony 7.1 receiver up against the 730.

Feeling confident, I say drag it down here and lets compare.

He had to admit that my receiver played deeper and more musically than his.

He had more screechability with the Sony, as I'd noticed with my own H/K 3480(which has been retired to the basement(in a trash bag, to prevent corrosion).

Anyway, I think I'll live with my 730 until I can afford the Peach and a pair of VRDs.

Again, I'd like to thank you good people for getting me where I am.

WOOF!

I keep the bass and treble at various settings (all positive though), depending upon the volume, on my HK430. Lower volume means more bass and treble for me, higher volume less. This also depends on the CDs I'm playing. Some are good recordings, other are poor. Some are bass/treble heavy/shy. Generally speaking though, I keep bass at roughly the 3pm position on the pot and treble at about the 4pm or 5pm position. Sounds best to me at those positions.