To spike or not to spike

I have a pair of '79 Cornwalls with the factory riser and they seem unstable on my carpeted floor. Has anyone put spikes on Cornwalls and what were the results?

The other option I was thinking about was getting some sort of board to put underneath them. Again any opinions would be great.

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.1 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

Not having Cornwalls, I shouldn't speak out.

However, from the description there is no easy way put put spikes on the bottom of the speaker because the riser is hollow inside, for lack of a better description. (I have built speakers with such a riser. As you point out, they can be unstable.)

I was to be faced with this problem, I'd build a spiked platform to put under the speakers.

Let me suggest you cut some plywood 3/4 inch larger than the footprint of the riser. Then place 1/4 inch, 1/4 round, or square, molding at the edge to create a recess for the riser to fit in. This is just so the speaker doesn't slip off. You get the idea. The extra 1/4 inch all around is to give some clearance and allow for errors.

Alternately, you might just cut the plywood 1/4 inch larger and put some 1 inch tall trim around the outer edges to cover the plywood plys. I don't know the level of your woodworking skill, but this is not too difficult.

Then put the spikes of the bottom of this base.

That way you haven't altered the speaker, and you get the benefits, whatever they may be, of the spikes. if you don't like the effect, the base board can go in the junk bin.

Regards,

Gil

Ahh Gil great ideas! I was thinking about cutting some 2X4's, making a frame and placing it just inside the riser and attaching the spikes to that frame. However I think I may do your idea. It seems that it may be more stable and it would be easier to fine tune the speakers too. Decisions decisions decisions.

Anyone know of a place online to purchase spikes and such?

------------------

Main System -

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.1 for PC

Bedroom -

Hiya,

This is a little off topic but I just spiked my KLF 30's last night and it made a lot of difference. It removed the bit of 'mud' that was in the sound at times. I really wasn't thinking they'd do anything to be honest, but since BobG recommended it I gave it a whirl. I'm very glad I did!

These things sounded great before and now they are truly spectacular!!

Let us know how 'spiking' the Cornwalls changes the sound. I must admit, I'd love to put the cornwalls up against the KLF 30s..... I wonder if the 30's could hold a candle to 'em??

Later!

mace

eq,I just recently built an "amplifier stand" which worked out well.It doesn't require very much work or skill(thank ggodness).I went to Home Depot and bought a 3/4" piece of MDF that was 16"D X 48" long.Cost $3.48.On the way thru the store had the "saw guy" cut two 19" pieces which left a 10" wide piece that I had him cut in half.Took the two 5"X16" pieces and glued and screwed them to the bottom outside edges of the 19"W X 16" D piece.Bought spikes(see below)and mounted to bottom.Sprayed with black lacquer,allowed to dry over night,and buffed with spray wax and 0000 steel wool.Turned out great.And it works.The cheap 3/4" MDF is a good straight product that should work well for you.See links below for spikes.And good luck.

www.partsexpress.com

do a search on part numbers 240-715,240-725,240-730

Keith

This message has been edited by talktoKeith on 08-09-2001 at 10:51 PM

Eq,

I buy a lot of stuff at the HD at Central and Forest. Yeah, there is one up north on Central which may be closer to you.

They say (in the signs) they don't do precision cuts. But on the right day, with the right people, they might cut down a piece of MDF or ply to your size on a radial saw. (On a busy day, you get no help. On an off day, a retired craftsman will take over the project entirely.)

There are racks of fir trim, some trim saws and sometimes a miter box in the aisles. It is not impossible that you could get all the cutting done in the store.

Again, if you're a "handy man" with the tools at home, you'll construct in the garage. None the less, much of the cutting could be done at the HD if you need to.

The rest of the project is glue and small nails. Maybe some paint.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 08-09-2001 at 11:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by mace:

I must admit, I'd love to put the cornwalls up against the KLF 30s..... I wonder if the 30's could hold a candle to 'em??

well mace, as the proud owner of '84 cornwall I & the klf-30 i can say i love these children the same for their differences. cwm38.gif

i've a-b'd them in stereo side by side w/ the same equipment - marantz sr8000, etc.

in a nutshell, the 30s are louder (102 vs 98.5db). hence the 2nd octave (40-80hz) slam. i'd say besides again being louder, the mids & highs are brighter. could be too much w/ the wrong preamp/amp/receiver, but the marantz keeps them in line & i think neutralizes any potential coloration.

otoh, though not saying they don't have 2nd octave slam in their own right, the corns for me went lower (extension) i found from the frequency sweeps & some organ music. f.e., at 32hz the corn still had some good output.

& they sound very warm & natural in the mids & highs. iow not as bright there as w/ the 30s,

even w/ the difs in loudness taken into account, which is pretty subjective.

again, not saying anything bad about either. love 'em both. but they are different.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

I have a pair of Fortes spiked via sitting on double thickness MDF platforms that fit inside the riser. Four spikes are screwed into the MDF boards.

This made for a pretty stable mount on carpet and bass is punchier. I've had a lot of listening time with and without the spike set up and I'll stick with the spikes. One factor though, they are not easy to move around so test for best positioning before spiking. Also keeps the carpet from looking like swiss cheese.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I am going to give it a whirl. It doesn't sound like it would be too hard. Maybe I can use the platform idea with the SVS woofer too. I will make sure to let ya all know how it works out. Probably be a week or two thou.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -