choice of recivers

raynes

Raynes,

If you want a multi-channel receiver with fully automated setup, the Pioneer VSX-1014TX-K is the only model within your budget. They go from $400 to $500 at places like Best Buy and OneCall.com. The reviews on the AVS forum are quite good. The 1014TX is a near duplicate of the Pioneer Elite VSX-52TX.

Bill

Don't get hung up on the marketing magical number of 100W per channel. harman/kardon receivers are good and very conservatively rated. They adjust level automatically across speakers, but not EQ like the Pioneer 1014TX (which, I think, does a 5-band EQ so it's not magical either)

I've got a B&K 140 watt amp I got off eBay for $220, and a B&K PT3 preamp with remote for $195. Both retailed for $1000 and $399 when new. They blow the pants off the Yamaha receiver I used to have, and are so well built, they play like brand new. Separates sound superior to receivers in the same price range( to me). I've had Adcom, too-the GFA545 100 watt and GFA535 60 watt amp and GFP565 preamp--which is great stuff.

These are solid state-- There's plenty of recommendations for tube equipment on this forum, too.