7.1 speaker set up, RF-7 line

customsteve01

If you were setting up at 7.1 system with RF-7's as mains, RC-7 center, RSW-15 sub, would you get "4" RS-7's as the surrounds or "2" RS-7's mid surround's and "2" RB-75's back surrounds, or would you get something bigger in the back.

Also I want to go with a pre amp and separate amps, would you suggest one 7 channel amp, or a 3 channel and "2", 2 channel amps????

I have never owned separate amps in the house just my trucks. I really like the idea and can see how it would really enhance the sound.

Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas to all..........

Steve

I have a dedicated Klipsch reference 7.1 home theater. I use rf-7's for mains, rc-7 for the center and 4 rs-7's for the surround and the back surrounds. I used the rb-7's for surrounds for a while but I like the sound of the rs-7's better. I like to listen to my theater loud, I use ATI 250 watt per channel amps and I have no complaints. With rb-7's I could tell exactly where the sound was comming from. With the rs-7's it is more of a diffused sound. It gives me more of a 360 deg. sound field with no gaps when the sound pans from speaker to speaker. In a theater I like the sound of the rs-7 better for live concert dvd's and movies.

----------------

On 12/25/2004 10:33:59 AM greyroom wrote:

With rb-7's I could tell exactly where the sound was comming from. With the rs-7's it is more of a diffused sound. It gives me more of a 360 deg. sound field with no gaps when the sound pans from speaker to speaker.

----------------

I believe that is why it is called "surround sound". I too prefer using the RS-7s. However, if your receiver (or pre-pro) doesn't do a really excellent job of surround steering, (and a lot don't, they blur the sound from the fronts to the surrounds to the rears), then direct radiating speakers may be adequite or even preferable.

JR

IMHO, The bipolar and WDST RS series were best suited for the old Dolby Pro-Logic systems, where you were just spewing back info everywhere behind you.

Now that we have 7.1 discrete channels of full-range output, I feel that a more directional approach give the listener/viewer a better feel for what the director and sound mixer had in mind when at the mix desk. For some listeners, RB's at the back or main surround positions fill this need and RS can fill in as side surrounds. If your room is large enough, four RB's would do nicely. I wouldn't do 4x RS in a modern digital HT setup ever.

Michael

I do have a "modern" home theater and althought we may have 7 discrete channels of sound, Klipsch must have thought there was some reason to create an rs-7 type surround speaker. Even the top of the line flagship THX ultra model offers a bi-polar type speaker for surrounds. You must remember that sound is subjective what I like you may not and what you like I may not. I think if you have good quality equipment to drive your Klipsch speakers you will be happy.

----------------

On 12/25/2004 10:49:35 PM greyroom wrote:

I do have a "modern" home theater and althought we may have 7 discrete channels of sound, Klipsch must have thought there was some reason to create an rs-7 type surround speaker. Even the top of the line flagship THX ultra model offers a bi-polar type speaker for surrounds. You must remember that sound is subjective what I like you may not and what you like I may not. I think if you have good quality equipment to drive your Klipsch speakers you will be happy.

----------------

Im no expert but I understood 7.1 to be discret to 5.1 and the two middle rear surrounds are a shared mono channel. Some guru can correct me if I am wrong but I do know 7.1 is partial mono shared channels.