K-43's in a Cornwall?

cyclonecj

As most of you know, & just purchased a pair of Cornwalls for the music dept of my school.

At this point, I have not decided if they get them, or I keep them & continue the search for another pair of La Scala's.

If I do decide to use them in the school, I am curious about the need to convert them to the K-43 woofers, since they will be in a student enviroment. I have no doubt they will be abused.

Has anyone ever tried K-43's in Corns? I do have a pair in the house, so if no one else has, I could try them if I had to.

if you're doing PA in student environment with industrial amp, please consider the use of a compressor/limiter on your main outs of mixer. This will help protect your speakers from dropped mics, plug-ins at full power, basically mistreatment of the chain of gear pre-speaker. email me if you need more info on this.

If you're sold on destroying the Corns, please send them to me and let me destroy them for you LOL

Michael

The suggestion for a limiter on the preamp out is a good one. A simpler solution is to put a fuse in series with the speaker. Fuses are not a panacea against speaker destruction, but they reduce the liklihood of blown drivers greatly. They are also cheap. The downside is someone may put a higher amp fuse in the circuit than is desired. Right now I am using 2 amp fast blow fuses with my Corn IIs fed by a 120w/ch amp. At any volume I'd care to listen to, the fuses don't blow, but are there 'just in case'. I have always fused all my speakers over the 32 years I've been at this and have yet to blow a driver. Don't let anyone BS you about "fuse distortion". Fuses can never distort as much as a damaged or blown driver.

Great advise from everyone... Thanks!

The corns will not really be doing PA, they will be in a well controlled music room playing music from CD or a live recording. But even in the best schools, students like to sneek in & have some fun, so I want to take any precautations I can. They will be fused for sure, & I will look into the limiter. There is a limiter in the theater already.

----------------

On 12/26/2004 2:30:34 AM djk wrote:

If you buy a pro amp with a limiter the stock K33 would probably be OK.

----------------

I was looking into a low powered pro amp, but they all seem to start at 200wpc, at least from QSC or Crown. Unlike the gym, the power will NOT be needed in the music rooms. When the band director was testing the LAS, he was using an old 35wpc Onkyo reciever, & it was too loud.

The QSC RMX 850 seems to be a good bet. It has some limiters built in. I could just try this for a while, & if it blows, then replace the drivers. The other room will have the pro LAS, so no problems there.

----------------

On 12/26/2004 4:29:47 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

If you're sold on destroying the Corns, please send them to me and let me destroy them for you LOL

Michael

----------------

Michael: I would MUCH rather have another pair of LAS (pro or not) for the school, so if another pair pops up, you will be the first to know! I just grabed the corns because they were such a great deal.

I also still want to try them in place of my rear surround Heresy's, so many options are still up in the air.

I recommend you buy a used McIntosh amplifier to drive the Cornwalls with.

An MA6200 preamp-amplifier (or one of the newer versions) would be perfect.

Features:

Phono preamp (bet the teacher has some LPs)

Program equalizer (much more useful than simple tone controls) with subsonic filter (protects ported speakers)

Power out is 100W/4R (enough to get very loud but not overpower the Cornwalls)

Protection relay (no funny noises with turn on/turn off) and inrush current limiter

Thermal switch

Short circuit protection

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT:

Power Guard (clipping limiter)

Models earlier than the 6200 will not have the power guard, all later ones will.

If the preamp function is not required the MC502, MC752, and MC754 are the amp section from the MA6200. The MC502 is a little less power at 8R, but has the ability to drive a 2R load (like a pair of Heresy and Cornwalls at the same time).

Sometimes you can find a better deal on the receiver!

The MAC4100 is the first model with Power Guard, the MAC4200 and newer have digital tuners. All have the same features of the MA6200.