Tweaking, When does it end?

adamlee2001GXE

I bought myself an HT for my birthday about a month ago. I know Ultimate Electronics is bashed on this board, but that's the closest, big selection of Klipsch speakers around.

Here's what I got:

Denon AVR 2105

RC 25

RF 25

RS 25

RW 12

Monster Power accessories and wiring

I have a couple of questions. First off, I have found that in different mediums (TV, DVD, MUSIC), each form has different levels of bass. I am constantly having to adjust the volume for less bass in DVD, more for Music, and in the middle for TV. I called Ultimate, and the salesman didnt seem to think that my receiver had the option of controlling the volume from the receiver, much like a car stereo, controlling the sub output.

Secondly, I have had the Promedia's for about 3 yrs now. I have loved the full sound that came with these. I agree that you have to "adjust" to the sound of Klipsch. I thought I had. I am finding that with the towers, they seem a bit bright. I dont feel that the towers have a lot of midbass. The x-over is set at 60 on the receiver.

My ultimate question is, do you always have to tweak the settings depending on what you are watching, or do you just settle for a certain setting? Not that I want to exchange receivers, in the beginning I was going for a simple easy to understand receiver. This one isnt bad, but are there other "tweakable" ones?

Try setting your crossover at 80 Hz and 100 Hz, then use whatever sounds best to you. This should improve the mid bass a bit.

Also try movig the speakers. Small changes in position can have a major effect on the sound. You are listening to room effects as much as the speakers. Room treatments can help as well.

If your receiver has a re-equalization setting, it will reduce the brightness. THX receivers all have the feature when THX post processing is engaged (except for THX music.)

Bill

I typically don't re-adjust my system for differenct medias.

As stated previously, make one adjustment, I would definitly use

a calibrations disk and SPL meter to set your system. Now 5.1 signals

will sound a little different then stereo I live with it. You may try

setting your mains to large to help out the mid bass. It does not hurt to

try. I experimented with my setting and placement for months until I was

satified and now I sit back and enjoy.

On the bass issue, you may want to set the receiver to "no sub" and set towers to "large". That will tell you how much bass you are really getting out of them.

Assuming that is ok, turn the sub back on and set the towers to small. Play with the cross-over until you get the sound you like. Personally, I think 60 is too low for those speakers (I'm at 80 with the RF-7's). You should try 80 - 100 - 120, assuming the receiver will allow for that.

Finally (actually, make that first), set the receiver's treble and bass to the neutral positions. You may be getting adequate mid-bass, but too much treble and low bass.

Keep in mind EVERY source,cd's,dvd's etc..all are recorded different.If I play 10 cd's they'll all sound different,more bass/less bass etc..Same w/dvd's,some have great bass and some not,some have great mids/highs and some not.

Once you set your system up you should not have to change much.On mine when I need more bass I just push a button on the remote,after it resets to my original set up.