Receiver Recommendations?!?!

jkd740

Hi all,

Santa brought me some new RSX-5's for Christmas in hopes that I would build a home theater system. Right now all I have are these two RSX-5's. Have to start somewhere right? My plan is to purchase the RCX-4 for the center and another set of RSX-5's for the rear surround also the rw12 for sub. This will be a work in progress, but hopefully over a short amount of time I'll have everything.

I have a very old receiver that I would like to replace at this time first and fore most. Can you recommend what a good receiver would be? Something that will work now and as I add the other speakers. I don't need anything over the top with a bunch of bells and whistles that I'll never end up using. Just something that will give me good all around movie, sports, etc. watching. I would like it to be easy to set up with my HDTV DVR cable box and my Sony 34" HDTV. Mostly I would like the basic functions of the receiver easy to use so my wife and 8 yo son can handle it with ease.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Does the HK have enough power to push all the speakers efficiently though? It would be nice to have something with video switching too. Here's what I plan to hook up to the receiver

HDTV DVR cable box (component cables)

34" Sony HDTV (component cables)

DVD player (component cables)

VCR (composite cables)

Xbox (component or S-Video)

This is my first home theater system, so I'm not 100% sure how I need to hook this up and what type of cables I should get. I guess Monster cable is the best way to go?

Your RSX-5s get 93 db @ 1 watt, so the HK ought to be good there. You'll be able to run component out of the DVD and the X-Box, but I don't know about the composite. Probably ought to hit harmankardon.com and have a look at the owners manual for that. If in doubt, you can use the return policy to audition it for a period of a few days, then step up to the 230 if you find need more power.