Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Dec. 28

thebes

Sorry been travelin, but there is still time to end the year with a few kick *** recommendations for our fellow Forum members. I picked up two today recommended on this board and will let you know what I think shortly.

So,

Rules are simple, Artist/Group, Title, genre (blues, jazz etc.) type of music (lp/cd)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Manitas de Plata "Flamenco Guitary" 3 lp set, flamnenco.

Manitas de Plata, trasnlated as "Silver Hands" is a gypsy quitar player who is probably the worlds most virtuoso flamenco guitar player. This particular set was recorded in around 1965 and is equivalent to this country's early recordings of Robert Johnson and the other southern blues greats. Forget the Gypsy Kings (who I like by the bye) this is the ral deal and superbly recorded. I'm not sure sure if this one is available, but others by him are, including a live perforamcne at Carnegie Hall, a place known for rendering super recordings. If you can get the earlier stuff, better yet, because no human can retain the type of speed he exihibts on some of these cuts as they age-the counterpoint being the recording quality (already superb) can probably only improve with his later recordings.

So stretch yourselves a little and pick up one of his cd's (I'm sure the later stuff is probably also available on lps) if you don't like it and if it doesn't make you understand (once again) why you're into Klipsch I'll buy it off of you.

Happy New Year and what do you have to share?

Most of you already know this but my recommendation is, if you don't already own any, pick up a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) LP (my preference) or CD of your choice. You can find some CDs and SACDs at places like Tower Records but for LPs you'll probably need ebay.

I've been sitting on a sealed MFSL LP of Jethro Tull's "Thick As A Brick" for more than a year and finally decided to break it out tonight. This is an LP I've heard probably 500 times or more over the years and I'm hearing things I had no idea existed on this album. Not just a few notes or instruments or harmonies here or there, but a whole boatload of stuff! It's uncanny what I've been missing over the 30+ years I've been listening to this album.

Yes they can be expensive, but they really are exceptional. You can pick up some lesser known artists fairly cheap however.

At some point, Columbia Records also put out some half-speed masters and I'm sure there are other labels available if you look hard enough.

Well Garymd and a thread about turntables got me to hooking up one of the old Technics 1700's and digging out a few LP's. I have about 10 boxes 13x13x13 that I used to move them all. Last in alphapet was on top so I opened X-Z, containing the Yes series. Since I have most of them on CD, pulled a rariety for you all.

Patrick Moraz, Ex Yes, Ex Moody Blues had a couple of solo albums out and one was called 'Out in the Sun' featuring lots of brazilian percussion. Very light, happy and sunny music. Sounded great on vinyl. Made me feel good on a cloudy, cold, snowy miserable day.

Put on something sunny! Wipe off your vinyl! Enjoy music again, it's not just about the machinery.

Michael (didIwin,didIwin,didIwin,didIwin,didIwin,didIwin,?)

Ok,

Traffics slow, so I'll give ya another one. Again from my boxes o vinyl that are being slowly opened, carefully cleaned and played with much volume and singing and dancing about!

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band/Elephants Memory/Invisible Strings/ with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Inventions--- "Some time in New York City". Mine is two volume vinyl, but prob out on CD. ONe disc is John and Yoko with songs like Attica State, We're All Water (From different rivers), John Sinclair- lots of protest numbers. Disc two is live with Zappa and it's totally wild. like 12 minute version of Cold TUrkey with the most blood-curdling screams I've ever heard from John. Very LIVE! If you've ever gone thru this, you know the pain he's talking about.

Michael

I just replaced my old JVC DVD player which used to play DVD-Audio. It was starting to get rather picky on which DVDs it wanted to read. I bought a Samsung HD-841 universal player which handles DVD-Audio & SACD. So, this has been multi-channel week for me.

Eric Clapton's "461 Ocean Blvd." - SACD Rock

Very good overall. The standout track is "Let It Grow".

Steely Dan's "Gaucho" - DVD-Audio Rock

Just a very good overall recording with Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Rick Marotta, Steve Gadd & Jeff Porcaro on drums.

Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" - SACD Fusion

Fantastic recording start to finish. "Air Blower" & "Freeway Jam" were the standout tracks for me. Richard Bailey is on drums & he just kicks butt. Beck just covers alot of textures with his guitar. The man has taste. He is in a class all his own.