Copying a CD

Tony Reed

agreed, Nero is what I use also, and hand's down, the easiest to use, for copying purposes...

As for actually lifting the image off the cd, I'm thinking you mean to actually reproduce the label on the cd itself? there are many programs available to do this, though you would need a scanner, or high-res digital camera, used in conjunction with Photoshop, or Kodak, I'm sure you could reproduce a label, though you will be able to tell its a label, and not an original copy of the cd.

When I say a disk image, I'm referring to duplicating the data from a source CD to a destination CD exactly. Sometimes when you copy a CD, it doesn't copy exactly like the original. For example... I have a game CD that I would like to copy for my Daughter so I can put the original away. I really don't want her using the original as I'm afraid it might get seriously damaged. When I copy it and try to use it, the application on the computer can see it's not the original disk. If you lift the disk image and write it to a blank disk, you've made a exact copy that the computer sees as an original.

Thanks,

Tony

----------------

On 1/6/2005 9:11:15 AM Tony Reed wrote:

When I say a disk image, I'm referring to duplicating the data from a source CD to a destination CD
exactly
. Sometimes when you copy a CD, it doesn't copy exactly like the original. For example... I have a game CD that I would like to copy for my Daughter so I can put the original away. I really don't want her using the original as I'm afraid it might get seriously damaged. When I copy it and try to use it, the application on the computer can see it's not the original disk. If you lift the disk image and write it to a blank disk, you've made a exact copy that the computer sees as an original.

Thanks,

Tony

----------------

I understand what you ,mean now, and yes, I agree... copying one to another often times, a computer can realize its a copy. First and foremost, you need to check the size of the data to be transferred, and see if you have any blank discs able to handle the data. Next is having a Master/slave set-up in your system. If you are trying to copy to a temp folder, then to a blank disc, the puter will not transfer certain files onto the disc, as they may either be copyrighted, or considered useless, as the puter may have several versions of the same file on the HD already. If this is a gaming cd, I'd suggest a dvd-rw, versus a cd-rw, simply for the reason the cd may contain file segments a cd-r cannot hold.

Though I'm probably telling you everything you already know, my only thought is about the law here... if you want an exact copy of an original disc, go buy another copy. One lil note... most discs with proprietary information have registration forms with them, as part of their setup.exe files, whereas burners won't copy those files.

• 2 weeks later...

The new version of Nero (6.6) supposedly will exact copy a DVD without affecting the anti-piracy codes and also Samsung is coming out with a recorder that can do the same thing. I assume that the cd's are in the same boat. I use "Record Now Max" or "Nero" to copy CD-r's and if there is copyright protection they will not copy.

JJK

use achohol 120%2.gif - a trail is available at their site. works for games,dvds,etc. it can copy all the "errors",etc of the cd.

also has a virtual drive feature built into it. maybe you should have your daughter play the games off virtual cd's? or you could install the game and put a no cd crack on it.

scp53

----------------

On 1/14/2005 12:53:33 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

The new version of Nero (6.6) supposedly will exact copy a DVD without affecting the anti-piracy codes and also Samsung is coming out with a recorder that can do the same thing. I assume that the cd's are in the same boat. I use "Record Now Max" or "Nero" to copy CD-r's and if there is copyright protection they will not copy.

JJK----------------

What do you mean "without affecting the anti-piracy codes?" Unless things have changed, you have to break the encryption on a DVD to copy it, which is against the "anti-piracy codes." You can certainly make an exact copy of a non-copy protected DVD with Nero.

As far as your situation, Tony, I agree with SCP, that virtual drives would be the best way to go, your daughter will never have to touch any disc.

That's the same question I asked but evidently it is true as the recorders were for introduction in 2006. One was Samsung and the other I think LG. Of course someone might be unloading a bunch of bull, but I believe everything I read. If in fact it was true the copyright people will straighten them out so that eventually we have to give a DNA scan to make a copy, maybe. The statement I read was an exact copy of the encryted disc without affecting the encryption.

JJK

From Nero's Website (http://www.nero.com/en/Nero_6_Reloaded.html)

Backup Your DVDs*

Copy your non-protected DVD movies, keep or edit audio tracks, titles or subtitles, 5.1 Surround Sound, fit an entire DVD onto a CD without loss of quality.

* Does not copy DVDs with copy protection

Don't know about the recorders you're talking about, and don't mean to be argumentitive, but I think you misread the article, or the person writing the article didn't know what he was talking about.

----------------

On 1/20/2005 4:24:15 PM Tony Reed wrote:

Can someone give me a quick once over on these "virtual drives"? This is totally new to me.

Thanks,

Tony

----------------

Virtual Drives are just what they sound like. You can burn an image of a CD/DVD, using a program like nero, or others, and you "mount" the image to a virtual drive. To your computer, you have an extra drive installed (or several drives) and the virtual drive acts just like a real drive with a real disc inside. In this screen cap, I have Six CD-Drives, my computer only has 2 Physical CD drives. The computer doesn't know the real drives from the virtual drives. You can make images of all your discs, then any time that you would normally insert a CD, you simply "mount" the image instead. I don't know about the program mentioned above, but I use Daemon Tools (do a google search, it is free). Note:Some discs might still not work, but if these are kids games, I doubt there is very sophisticated copy protection on the discs.

Virtual.JPG

post-4951-13819260063642_thumb.jpg

I remember three things for sure: Go-Video, Samsung, and Nero 6.6 would make the copies. Nero quickly posted that it could not. The copyright people were fuming and still are. But me being a dummy didn't get the website that came out with this stuff. Yes, it could be total crap. I believe it was at Caas 2005 or something, some major show.

JJK