Lee Morgan Volume 3

filmboydoug

I know Allan has it. It's one I've been keeping an eye out for but usually out of my price range for an original. I may grab one of those however. Thanks for the link.

I'm sure Allan will chime in with a review when he sees this thread. It's not yet 7am on the west coast.

BTW - I've yet to hear anything by Lee Morgan I didn't like. I have about 15 of his LPs + many more with him as a sideman.

I'm glad to see Classic reissue this one! This was Morgan's third date as a leader and both he and Benny Golson were member of Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers when this was recorded. Golson was the composer and arranger for this one and "City Lights" (Blue Note 1575) recorded a few months later.

For $30 this is a no-brainer--unless of course you're a nut job and want to go for THIS version instead!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=306&item=4063861475&rd=1

This album has the ORIGINAL and definitive version of Golson's "I Remember Clifford." Morgan will flat out break your heart on this one. Morgan is joined by Golson on tenor, Gigi Gryce on alto, with Wynton Kelly, Paul Chambers and Carlie Persip on drums. GREAT tunes. TIGHT arrangements. EXCELLENT solos. A classic Blue Note date.

24027A.jpg

Got my copy today. Outstanding. I mean WOW! GREAT RECORDING as most of the Classic Series Monos seem to be. Unfortunately, as soon as I began cleaning it on the VPI, I knew it was warped. Not much but enought to send it back.15.gif I'll still listen to it a couple times first. Doesn't effect play but when you spend $30 for a new LP it should be flat. JMHO12.gif

I hope the Hank Mobley (BN 1560) doesn't have the same issue. I haven't opened that one yet.

Rudy van Gelder did some amazing work in his parent's living room, didn't he?

It still blows my mind that all these great sessions were recorded in a suburban living room in New Jersey with Rudy the optomotrist and part-time recording engineer setting up his gear in the kitchen.

I think the sessions recorded in the living room have a certain "live" feeling that the later stuff recorded in the studio RVG built in 1958 just don't have.

1568 is an amazing recording. And it was the worst selling record Blue Note ever released--one pressing of 500 copies.

Hey Gary, not to hijack the thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation on the Kenny Burrell John Coltrane SACD. Got it just before Christmas. Great album. Must have listened to it a dozen times already. Santa also brought me a couple of other SACD's; Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain and Blue Train. They sound great on the new SACD player. All in all a great Christmas.

You're welcome. Glad you're enjoying them. All great albums! I scored a pretty big haul of Miles Davis LPs over the holidays so I'm disovering some of his old stuff myself. Sketches Of Spain is a really interesting album. I usually put it on as background music when I'm working around the house or just kicking back.

I just went to the Classic Records site and looked at the MONO Blue Note reissues. I can't think of ANY your wouldn't want, Gary!

And since ALL of these are $500+ each as originals you can't miss at $30 each!

If you want my suggestion about which one to buy next, go for 1573--John Jenkins with Kenny Burrell. I've been playing that one at least once every couple of weeks for the last 15 years!

----------------

On 1/7/2005 2:34:16 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I offered it to you for $125 didn't I? I sold it to a fellow in Japan on ebay for $290.

It was a flat-edge deep-groove Lexington original!

Oh, well.

----------------

You didn't have to bring that up! It had too many pops and clicks anyway.2.gif

I just added 3 more to my order:

1573 - John Jenkins/Kenny Burrell

1538 - Lee Morgan, Indeed

1536 - J.R. Monterose

----------------

On 1/7/2005 3:29:57 PM Allan Songer wrote:

The Monterose is a great album--you will love it. He made very few records over the years and they are all worth tracking down.

He's featured on the Kenny Dorham album I sent you--check out his solo on "Night in Tunisia."

----------------

I've listened to the other 3 and I'm just starting the Dorham album. My favorite so far is Bennie Green with Louis Smith a very close second. Smith reminds me a little of early Lee Morgan with a bit of Coltrane mixed in (if Coltrane played trumpet that is!). He must have practiced his scales when he was young because he can really fly up and down them with amazing speed and precision! Bennie Green is just plain fun to listen to!