DTS setup questions...

Joe Shmoe

OK, so I finally got a DVD player that has DTS... now the problem is how to get it to work. I went and picked up the necessary component cables to take advantage of the progressive scan mode, and I am using a digital optical cable for the audio. Do I also need to use the digital coax output also? I thought is was either/or but maybe it's both? I also have gone through & double checked the inputs on the on screen setup. SO.... what am I missing here?

The usual problem with getting DTS to work is with the DVD setup. The DTS option in the DVD hardware setup menu needs to be set to bitstream or yes.

You then need to have a DVD with a DTS sound track; not all DVDs have a DTS sound track. When you play the DVD you need to go into the DVD software setup or language menu and select DTS.

Bill

Seems the problem is with the DVD itself. I used the Eagles HFO DVD, because I am most familiar with it, and when getting the option of DTS or PCM I click on DTS and get nothing. I changed DVD's to another DTS DVD - Godsmack, and it works great. SO must be something to do with the Eagles DVD?

You have to tell the DVD plaer it is ok to output the DTS bitsream. DVD players are shipped from the factory with DTS disabled so you will not damage your system. You have to tell the DVD player that it is ok to output the DTS bitstream.

You need to read your DVD player's manual for DTS setup.

Bill

Thanks for the quick response...

I am not sure what I did differently if anything? BUT it is working now just fine. I think maybe because I shut everything down and restarted the receiver & DVD player? Maybe that caused the new settings to take affect? Beats me.

Not sure if this was the problem or not, but...On the Eagles HFO disc, if you choose dts, you have to let it go through the entire intro. If you try to skip ahead, it will default back to the 2 channel mode. I noticed that quite a while ago. Just a quirky thing with that particular disc. Otherwise, the advice given here is definitely the answer. Make sure dts is enabled on your DVD Player's set-up menu (Usually you access the player's set-up menu only when there is no disc in the player). If it is working correctly, your Denon Receiver will disply "DTS" on the front panel, and also an LED will light up to let you know it is decoding the dts track.

----------------

On 12/31/2004 8:16:24 PM Joe Shmoe wrote:

...It's probably thrown into the same category as bi-wiring isn't it?
----------------

Exactly. I wouldn't even worry about it or give it a second thought. Use whatever cable / inputs you have, hook it up and don't think about it ever again. If you did an A/B between Coax and Optical, I highly doubt you'd hear any difference at all.