What do you guys think?

verso

----------------

On 1/2/2005 10:21:45 AM toddvj wrote:

Wait, who the hell are you to decide who is a greedy artist and who is not. If you are going to get music without paying for it, fine, but please, don't try to justify it by blaming the "Greedy Artists."

And I don't think there is a Single artist out there that would rather you download their songs for free instead of Buying them. If they say they "don't mind" people downloading, it's just because they don't want to be labeled a "greedy artist."

----------------

Ah!

You have asked the million dollar question.

And for you, sir, I have a great answer.

Who? Who am I to decide who is a greedy artist and who is not?

For I am the consumer and I am the one with the money.

I can vote with the swipe of my credit card who is worthy of my money and who is not - and I have voted many, many times.

Good day to you.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" download music to DISRESPECT greedy artists, and I buy music to REWARD good ones.  Fair?"

Seems like a pretty pathetic argument to me, but if it helps you sleep better at night, whatever. If you think there is a "greedy" artist that needs to be disrespected, don't listen to their music at all. Downloading music without the authors permission is still stealing, wether you justify it to yourself or not.

I agree with your last statement about voting with your money, but you are not. You are voting with your money for artists you like, and stealing from artists you don't. How is that fair to anyone?

I really don't care if people download music illegally, it doesn't affect me (except maybe in price of cds I buy..) but don't put up a flimsy argument to try and make it seems like you are justified in stealing.

Well, I wouldn't be able to listen to a 'greedy artist's music anyways. I have to like the person or people I'm listening to.

Metallica could make excellent music, but I still would not buy their CDs or download ther music, or listen to them on the radio. Heh.

"And I don't think there is a Single artist out there that would rather you download their songs for free instead of Buying them. If they say they "don't mind" people downloading, it's just because they don't want to be labeled a "greedy artist."

Actually. Think again.

A lot of bands encourage that their live performances be recorded and distributed free of charge.

The Grateful Dead for example, their policy was that their live performances could be recorded and distributed free of charge. However they were against people downloading their studio recordings.

A lot more artists and bands have followed this type of policy. http://www.archive.org/audio/etreelisting-browse.php?collection=etree&PHPSESSID=527249ce34c40cc0be59b5b7666bb336

Need I say more? 9.gif

- Steven

All I can say is that I've never EVER downloaded a single MP3 in my entire life! Not once, ever!

I continue to buy CDs (or LPs when I still spun vinyl), regardless if there's only a song or two that I really like. And I always will.

Just my two cents...

Yeah but,

There's nothing wrong with downloading music if it's legal. A lot of artists encourage their live music to be distributed free of charge - it's not frowned upon.

And why wouldn't an artist want their live music to be distributed free of charge? It makes sense. It's not like an artist could possibly profit from all of those live shows, the fans get what they want, the music is preserved, etc.

It's really good business when you think about it.

- Steven

"There's nothing wrong with downloading music if it's legal. A lot of artists encourage their live music to be distributed free of charge - it's not frowned upon."

I don't think anyone will argue with you on this. I download a lot of legal music for free, and I wish more artists would allow for distribution of their live shows legally.

I've got 351MB of Legal Downloads of live performances of the "Greedy" Metallica. Got them right from Metallica's own website.

When did Metallica become the enemy? When they spoke out against people stealing from them? I haven't seen them price-gouging or anything. I bought their last album for $9.99 the day it came out and it even included a free DVD. I just can't figure out what makes them different from other artists.

And let me just say, you are not just hurting the artists when you download, there are plenty of people working in other parts of the music industry, who are not rich, who have lost their jobs in the past few years. People with families, who were doing something they loved. The artists are still rich, but these poor people are out of a job, probably doing something they hate, and making less money. Sleep tight.

I do not see on the Metallica website where you can download their live performances.

But wow! Way to tug at the heartstrings, eh?

People who work in the music industry out of a job eh? Probably doing something they hate?

Crawling under a cardboard box on the side of the street, for just a little warmth?

Sifting through garbage for perhaps - a meal?

Heh. Please - let's not get so overly dramatic here.

I really do not believe that file sharing takes that big of a bite out of the music industry. Heh.

And artists need to understand, you can no longer expect to last as long as some bands with studio recordings - tshirts - and keychains alone.

If an artist can put on a good live performance, they really have nothing to worry about.

But if they cannot, or they don't feel like touring - then they aggressively protect their studio recordings in order to shake every penny from their fans.

I don't download music illegaly, I can sleep at night.

But artists who protect their studio recordings so aggressively need a serious reality check.

- Steven

Heh heh. You like that, huh? The truth is, a lot of music industry jobs have been lost over the past few years. Whether that is due to illegal downloading or not depends on how you spin it. For me, there just hasn't been a lot of new stuff I'm really interested in, and I know a lot of people, who have never downloaded music, feel the same way.

The Metallica downloads I got from entering in a "secret code" on their website. Maybe I'll post them on Kazaa so you can download them, too. LOL. 2.gif

Fact is, none of this affects me one way or the other. The only reason I piped in was because I think it's funny when someone tries to blame the "oppressive" music industry for their own illegal activities.

Now, on the Subject of Metallica, they do put on an excellent live performance, and that it a very good thing because their last album SUCKED. For that matter, so did the two before it. I still don't understand why they are the bad guys, though. I mean, I'm sure their views have changed since back when they first started out, but don't everyone's?

We poke fun at Metallica because they aggressively protect their studio recordings.

Here is a good article about how Metallica began suing their fans: http://www.shreddingradio.com/metallica.html

Oh and this article when Metallica began to sue schools that use Napster: http://www.uwire.com/content/topnews041400001.html

Oh and when they filed suit against a Canadian band for using two chords: http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/dmca-activists/2003-07/msg00013.html

The list goes on and on.

And believe me I don't want any of your Metallica songs. Heh. I prefer downloading (legally) the music from bands I respect - bands who do not try and shake every penny from their fans or sue a band over two freaking chords! LOL!

And that, my friend, is why they are the 'bad guys'

- Steven

A little FYI...Here's the link to downloading live Metallica shows....

http://www.livemetallica.com/

I think there were quite a few bands that did this last year, KISS I know was one. I think it's pretty cool to watch a show & then walk out and get it on cd. Wasn't it called "get it now" or something?

----------------

On 1/2/2005 8:35:06 PM verso wrote:

We poke fun at Metallica because they aggressively protect their studio recordings.

Here is a good article about how Metallica began suing their fans:

Oh and this article when Metallica began to sue schools that use Napster:

Oh and when they filed suit against a Canadian band for using two chords:

The list goes on and on.

And believe me I don't want any of your Metallica songs. Heh. I prefer downloading (legally) the music from bands I respect - bands who do not try and shake every penny from their fans or sue a band over two freaking chords! LOL!

And that, my friend, is why they are the 'bad guys'

- Steven
----------------

Please. You Really believe they sued another band for using Two Chords? Don't believe everything you read. Try clicking on any of the links on that page and see if they work. Then do a Google search for the two words "Metallica Unfaith" and see what you get. The other two stories were from, what? four years ago? I think it's time to get over that. The band has.

The point is, the band is aggressive - they try and shake every penny from their fans. That's wrong.

It's not just me, heh - a lot of people do not like Metallica for the same reasons.

With Metallica it's about the money, not the music.

- Steven

Yea, you really can't believe everything you read....

Below are 3 results from the thousands of archived articles at Onion Premium:

Alternate-Universe James Hetfield Named Taco Bell Employee Of The Month

LABREA, CAAlternate-universe sources reported Monday that Metallica frontman James Hetfield has been named Taco Bell employee of the month for April 1999. Hetfield, who has worked at the Petaluma...

3516 / 28 April 1999 / News

Kid Rock Starves To Death

LOS ANGELESMP3 piracy of copyrighted music claimed another victim Monday, when the emaciated body of rock-rap superstar Kid Rock was found on the median of La Cienega Boulevard. "How many more...

3618 / 17 May 2000 / News

RIAA Sues Radio Stations For Giving Away Free Music

LOS ANGELESThe Recording Industry Association of America filed a $7.1 billion lawsuit against the nation's radio stations Monday, accusing them of freely distributing copyrighted music. "It's...

3836 / 2 October 2002 / News

For more Onion Archive results please join Onion Premium.

----------------

On 1/2/2005 11:46:39 PM verso wrote:

The point is, the band is aggressive - they try and shake every penny from their fans. That's wrong.

- Steven

----------------

No way.... Where's the love? LOL...settle down already, I don't see them doing anything different than any other band out there, except the fact that they were outspoken about the Napster ordeal.

You want to talk about "shaking every penny" look at Gene Simmons & KISS. When's the last time they put out something new? And I'm not talking about toilet paper, chip dip bowls, snowglobes, matchbox cars, spawn figures either (all of which you can get with the KISS name plastered on it)LOL. Or look at the other reunion concerts where they charge $100+ for seats.... that's wrong!

I don't have a problem with paying for a live cd after the show or downloading one off a website, I mean you do get all the cd artwork included.... I thought it was cool. :) Yes it would be better if it were free but you can't expect a band to do that. Among other things, making money is why they do what they do. If it wasn't Metallica it would have been someone else eventually to put a stop to illegal downloading. And besides... it is still possible to do. Metallica just had the balls to stand up for all the other bands/artists. I believe they did it to just keep things in check, so it doesn't get out of hand.