chorus ii or rf-7

tglahn17

Leo, like many of us -- use tube amps. Tube amps possess multiple output 'taps' for speaker hookup. Typically 4, 8, and 16 ohm. With a tube amp, you don't necessarily want to use the tap that coincides with the nominal impedance rating of the speaker, but with the speaker's known lowest point of impedance. The RF-7 hits 4 ohms at a few frequencies. This is not an issue with solid state amplifiers.

"Recently I called Klipsch and they said there were no upgrades on the Chorus. As a matter of fact, they recommended that I not change anything on the Chorus."

LOL. Oh well.

The parts quality can be upgraded in any speaker network, providing some surprisingly nice results. The Chorus and Chorus II both use an electrolytic capacitor as the primary cap leading to the autotransformer and the HF part of the circuit -- call them back and ask if they really believe this is the best capacitor for the job. Personally, I think it's a terrible thing to put there.

The RF-7 network as well, responds very favorably to parts upgrading.

Thanks!

This is fascinating. I also have tube amps. I have the Bottlehead Parabee 300B SE tube monoblocks. This was a DIY kit. I did notice that there were three different soldering options for 4, 8, and 16 ohms. My speakers are 8 ohms, so that's what I used. What would be the difference in performance between the 8 ohm and 4 ohm settings? If this is too basic a question for this forum, can you give me a link to a Web site that explains this? Thanks,

tglahn17,

You have a tube amp with 4 Ohm taps? Try it. simple as that. You can always change it back, but I doubt you will.

When you us a lower impedance outpu tap you're presenting a higher impedance AC load to the output tube. This does 2 things: 1) in most designs, the output tube will be operating in a region of lower distortion 2) variations in the amp's frequency response, as a function of the speaker's variations in input impedance, will be reduced, providing an overall smoother frequency response. Also, if there is a 4 Ohm impedance region in the speaker's response, then the amp can bring full power to bear on that difficult region.

Leo

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it all depends more on you, your equipment, room, taste, all that such.

I went from Klipschorn's to the RF-7 and I'm really enjoying them. I never

thought I would give my Klispchorn's up but after so much talk about the RF-7

being actually better by some, it started to get my interest, and then I

read David Bardes review on the RF-7's in Vacuum Tube Valley magazine about

what he found in the RF-7 better than his Klipschorn's and that really got my interest.

I bought a pair of RF-7 and did my own evaluations, and to make a long story

short, I sold my Klipschorn's and bought another pair of RF-7 and I'm very pleased

with it. I don't miss my Klipschorn at all. I found David Bardes review to be

pretty much the same way I feel between the two models.

With all four RF-7 speakers going now, it's truely amazing. It has such a huge

wow factor and yes, the bass is definitely more on the RF-7, and in a much nicer

way. That is definitely how I see it. And I thought, nothing... but nothing

would take my Klipschorn's from me. It only took another Klipsch to do it though!

Klipsch really did an excellent job and I'm still spellbound with the huge sound

that comes out of the smaller RF-7 design! The highs are very detailed and beautiful!

I highly recommend to anyone the RF-7 !!! I've had my RF-7's for about 1 year now

and I don't regret it at all.

The RF-7 still needs a high quality amp to sound it's best!!!!