Scraaatch! on KLF-20

rvincerob1

I recently purchased a pair of klf-20's. One of which has a 1/4 inch scratch that runs the length of the speaker. They are black, i also have a pair of klf-30's they are mahogany. I would to paint the 20's mahagony, any suggestions are appreciated. If it is not possible for me to paint the 20's mahogny, what would be the best way to repair the 20's? (paint, spray paint or what?)

Remove or cover the grille and any access to speakers.

You can use spackle compound or wood filler. Use a plastic spackle knife. for this I would b let it dry, if any shrinking occurs after the first application add one more.

aaathen call Klipsch at 1-800-Klipsch to see the brand or if you can't get the brand, try to get sheen finish number.

Go to paint store give them the ingo you have and then spray in a sweeping motion to prevent drips or sagging.

You'll be back in business.

Welcome to the Forum.

dodger

Well, first you have to determine what existing finish is currently on your klf-20's, whether it be vinyl laminate or an actual paint finish. You could veneer them in mahogany, or alternatly have a cabinet/wood working shop do this for you.

As for painting them mahagony, you may find a dark brown that is close, but it will not look the same or even remotely close, as natural wood has grain, with light and dark spots, charactersitics of the species. You could alternately choose to refinish them in black, this would be easiest if they have an existing paint ( not vinyl ) finish.

The cabinets are produced from medium density fibreboard, like most all the speakers made today. You need to fill the scratch in after you sand the edge flat, as the fibres will be raised all along the scratch. If they feature a vinyl finish, the only way that you can do this, is you have to remove all of the vinyl from the speaker, before you can prep for refinishing.

Sand the edge flat along the scratch, using 120 - 180 grit sandpaper and a flat block. Fill with either a putty designed for filling blemishes in wood, or a two component premium autobody filler. I like using body filler, as it does not shrink, and sands well. Make sure that you mix well ( if applicable ), and apply the compound with pressure into the scratch.

After the filler has dried, sand the area again using 80 - 120 grit paper, then reapply your filler. After the second application, a quick sand with 180 and then 320 should finish the spot to perfection.

At this point, you may stop if you are applying a veneer, additional prep is required for a paint finish. You may feel free to contact me for further advice on refinishing, if veneering, then I suggest that you read up on the process before you proceed.

Search "zebrawood heresies", you will find a thread on veneering a set of speaker cabinets.

For the black one with the scratch use a black magic marker, unless it's a deep scratch then wood putty it, sand it, prime it and then paint it black.

I would not touch the mahogany pair. They are too nice. I have a black pair and would love mahogany.

Good Luck,

Danny