Input question

Haccord03

Right now I have 2 RB-35's hooked into an old kenwood receiver. It has inputs for AUX, Tape A, Tape B, and 2 Phono inputs. I have my computer hooked into the AUX and I want to hook up my DVD player as well. Its annoying to keep switching the computer out and the dvd player in. Can I just hook the dvd player into one of the other inputs? I tried the tape input and it worked, I just want to make sure its not bad for the receiver or the speakers.

Thanks

Many early receivers offered provisions for a tape head input. This feature was for tape recorders which did not utilize built-in preamplifiers. The input typically has a 5.0 mV sensitivity, and you cannot use a tape head input.

If you have tape monitor inputs, or conventional tape inputs, those will work great. They have a typical sensitivity of 200 mV.

The typical DVD player features a 200 mV RMS output into 47 kilohms load. A common CD player has 2.0V RMS into 47K Ohm load.

-Ryan

Best way to find out if the tape inputs will work is to try them if you do not have the manual. When trying them just don't have the volume control turned up. If this unit is SS from the 70's one of the tape inputs is almost positively setup for a more modern amplified tape deck rather then a tape head. HEck most 60's tube gear tape monitors inputs (Tape In) will work perfectly for high level inputs. The ones to watch out for are the inputs that say "Tape Head" these function similar to a phono input.

Craig