New sub

jdm56

My Infinity Alpha 1200s arrived today. When I brought it in and unboxed it, water immediately began condensating all over it as it was about 15 degrees outside this morning.

First thing when I pulled the box off of it, the plastic port tube fell out of the hole! -not a good beginning!

Next thing I noticed: "made in Mexico". OK, well gee, I thought Infinity products were made in Cali-forn-i-ay. More of that "out-sourcing" I guess. Oh well, that's the way of the world.

After letting the sub warm up to room temp, I hooked up, powered up and went through the set-up ritual of my receiver again. Cross-over at 100Hz, sub in right-rear corner. Too much bass! Set crossover down to 80Hz (still running 703's full-range). Better, but still a bit tubby. Dropped sub output level about 3dB. Ah, now we're gettin' somewhere!

Time to listen and to play around with location.

By the way, after the sub warmed up to room temp, the port tube (flared at both ends) tightened up pretty well in the hole. I may still have to wrap some tape around it to get a tighter fit, though. Other than that, the build quality appears very good considering the price ($799 list; $449 on closeout, delivered). The driver and amp are all flush-mounted in the box, the vinyl looks good, and the interior (I peaked when the big port tube fell out) looked good, with good bracing and 3/4 inch mdf throughout. No insulation inside the cabinet, though.

More later.

OK. I got to crank the system with the new Infinity sub in place, for the first time today - a little Nelly to get the joint a-jumpin! All I can say is WOW! Now that is some serious slammin bass! And I really didn't go too crazy, cause mama started belly-achin about the "noise".

I knew the bass in my music room, via k-horns was not good, but now I realize just what I was missing - 50hz is NOT a frequency you want to be deficient in, if you like slam and weight to your bass. This is not a knock on k-horns, but just the cold hard facts of speaker/room compatibility - or lack therof. The big ol' horns just did not work in my room! With them, my bass response curve looked like a roller-coaster at Worlds Of Fun. It was good from 30-40Hz, then the bottom fell out around 50Hz. I'm talking 15dB down out in the room! Not as bad if I sat close to the back wall, but that had it's own set of drawbacks. Then it was back up to par in the 60-70Hz range, and then another trough at 80Hz - about 8dB down. 100Hz on up was OK.

With the B&W 703's running full range, out about three ft. from the front wall and in about 5 ft. from the side walls, and the Infinity sub in the right rear corner, low passed at 80Hz, bass response is solid and relatively smooth right on down to about 30Hz. Not terribly deep, but SMOOTH...and natural sounding.

Gee, I wonder what a second sub would do for me? 11.gif11.gif11.gif

report update:

Well, maybe i don't need a second sub. After playing around with phasing, and the RABOS eq on the sub, I am now getting usable response down into the 25Hz range (-7dB @ 25Hz), with the smoothest bass I've ever had in that room above that (+/-4dB from app. 31.5 - 200Hz). And most of that range would actually fit in a +/- 3dB window. The -4dB point is at 31.5. So, you could say I'm pleased!

That's great that it blended so smoothly. I really like the infinity subs I've heard. I haven't heard that one but did hear the intermezzo 1.2. and the other one that is hooked to those real skinny towers. They are very musical. Its amazing what a difference the crossover point makes. Our your mains still getting a full range signal or are you cutting them off at the crossover point? Are you going to use this with the khorns or the B&W's?

Actually (he said in a whisper, so as not to disturb the natives), I sold the k-horns. I got enough for them, the belle and the heresys to pay for the B&W's, the Infinity sub, and to pay some bills.

I'll probably keep experimenting later on, but the results are really good right now, so I may just enjoy the music for awhile!

Yes, I'm still running the 703's full range. I tried rolling them out at 80Hz, but the response was better with them running full spectrum. You'd be surprise how much bass those puppies are capable of on their own!

This whole experience has really been an eye-opener for me about how critical the room/speaker interface is. There is a very interesting "white paper" by Dr. Floyd Toole of Harmon International, about room acoustics, speaker placement and such. You might wanna check it out (www.Infinitysystems.com)

Guest Anonymous

i was not to enthusiastic about my beta's being made in mexico, but they stil sound good at least for me anyways, its going to be awhile before i can go to the heritage line, i have things that are higher up than new speakers before i replace mine:

new pre-amp

eventually after that move to tubes

then heritage so ohh well