Seperate power sources?

Coytee

I'm in the beginning stages of starting work on basement (where 2ch and HT will reside)

I've thought about having monoblock amps for the 2ch setup, and perhaps somethign like that for the ht. Point being, spread the power usage around by using several different circuts rather than all jammed onto one.

Seems to me, I read once that using two different circuts "can/might/will" (dont recall which one) cause a ground loop hum, or something else, by having (or the potential of having) different potentials.

I hate it, when I have potentially problematic, potentials... 15.gif

ok, 2 slaps for my stupid humor.

Anyways, am I better off having say a 30 amp circut and put all on one line, verses a 20 amp circut, or am I better utilizing 2 twenty amp circuts? (or 15 amp... I'm just making examples)

?

I would stick to one single 30A circuit and if possible, leave the option open to run a seperate ground outdoors. If you are paying an electrician to do this for you, then I would specify that you must have a 0 Voltage on the ground, otherwise the circuit will be useless to you. If you can get the electrician to agree, then you can hold him responsible for any grounding issues you might come acros and expect him to fix it for you (and he will be able to decide the best way to accomplish this in your environment).

If you plan on using any kind of lighting or equipment other than you audio, then I would suggest installing a second line for all that. Dimmer switches,refridgerators, and flourescent lights are notorious for screwing things up.

What will most likely happen is (bro in law is electrician) I'll run all the lines to each location and take them to the panel, letting him do the physical hookup to the box.

Hmm... just had a thought, any merit in just adding a small 1 or 3 circut satellite breaker box, dedicated to the sound system... I say that because I can envision (maximum system down road) couple amps for 2ch, something for HT, couple subs, perhaps projector, big screen if no projector, cd, dvd players, couple other power plugs for what not. I mean, I can honestly see 10/15 plugs just for the sound/visual system 6.gif I really hate to see all that jammed onto one or two circuts. I realize the power draw might not be THAT much on some of the items, but still, just makes me nervous.

electrical is not such a great mystery, most electricians tell you to add more receps and circuits to tack on the additional charges, take a minute and find the draw on your connected equipment. any circuit by code and safety, should not draw more than 80% of the stated circuit breaker rating so for 20 amp you should not load higher tha 16 amps and so forth, the important factors are grounding, and neutrals, you want to make sure your circuits are not on on the same nuetral as motors, microwaves..... as far as multiple circuits, i have connected many many computer rooms using 3 phase power delivering all three phases to some equipment to be distributed to different aspects of the operations of the computer, so in short the best way to go and cheapest is dedicated. dedicated circuits, nuetrals, and wherever possible grounds, because those grounds do pick up noise from connected equipment, since ALL grounds unless dedicated are tied together at the panel.

Speaking of grounds, as it just so happens, my panel box is in the corner of this room. Outside is my meter box and also have a ground rod buried there somewhere.

Can I run a seperate ground wire out my access hole and connect it to SAME ground rod (bypassing my panel in a direct sort of way, but still being indirectly grounded to it)

My thinking is, if I drove another ground rod there, it would be only mere inches from the first one. given our rock retaining wall and flagstone patio, I don't have TOO many options to drive more rods in many places. Grounding to existing rod would simplify that, presuming taking a new ground outside like that is ok.

??

Tks