calibrating ht

chazklf

I found the AVIA disk to be crucial to calibrating video and sound. It, along with membership to the HTSpot (for calibrating my Mits widescreen), was the best money I have spent since I put everything together.

Tricks and how-to's would depend on how detailed your HT processor or receiver allows you to calibrate, and on the specific requirement of your display... start with basic video calibrations; most of other video calibrations require knowledge of the service menu, or equipment for adjusting greyscale.

Guest Anonymous

its a good disk, if you don't wnat to spend the money you will oftne find that thx certified movies come with a calibrator that is "ok"

i have found that the so called calibration discs are crap. they contain nothing that your users manual manuals does not have, after years of listening to the praises of these miracles discs i bought 1 and found nothing new in them, i had already done everything they had mentioned and more, the inly thing you need is to take a minute, open your manual, get an spl meter, and step by step go to work. save your money

Bologna! My DVE is an essential part of my system. I set up my display, and audio with it and the result is better than the calibration on the "THX" DVD's. I like the set up for your display way better as you get the color filter with it. Just my $.02.

----------------

On 1/8/2005 11:16:55 AM J.4knee wrote:

Bologna! My DVE is an essential part of my system. I set up my display, and audio with it and the result is better than the calibration on the "THX" DVD's. I like the set up for your display way better as you get the color filter with it. Just my $.02.

----------------

Agreed... my manual did not tell me how to adjust the five basic settings on my display to receive the most accurate picture I could get from my Mits; the few reference disks I used (ok, there was one: LOTR: FOTR Extended) did not look like I remembered them in the theater until I took care of the red push, and made the appropriate adjustments; in many cases, it was one notch to the left or right to nail it.

The calibrations I have been able to perform on my display would have cost me a minimum of $300 from a professional. AVIA cost me $37, and I paid $25 for access to the tweaks section of another forum, so I could get the most out of the service menu settings. I have had at least four people in my house within the past six months (cable and satellite installers) who have remarked about how incredible the PQ was on my set.

I did not even use the audio section of AVIA until I (ironically) had a really good HT processor (Anthem AVM20)... the settings you make with your receiver or processor are not going to nail down your DVD input. The best way to do this is to use a calibration DVD, since your DVD player is the same source as the movies you are going to watch. And the tweakability that a good processor allows for, coupled with the accuracy of Klipsch speakers, allows you to use more of the adjustments and tests to balance everything, especially the bass management.

I do not use the standard 80 Hz cutoff for my sub; my mains, center, and surrounds have separate frequency responses, and I was able to adjust those to get the most out of the speakers; this also helps to reduce the localization of bass frequencies away from your sub, and allow for a more natural sound.

The other nice feature about the Anthem pre-pro, but which works best with verification from a calibration disk, is the "notch" filter; which allows ajustments in the bass output to your subwoofer to eliminate any spikes in your frequency response (usually caused by conditions specific to the listening\viewing room).

I do not even use the calibration tests on my processor any more; they just aren't specific enough to get the sound where I want it to be.

I guess I am either more picky than some, or just too inept to make all the adjustments myself.