Looking for University SA-HF drivers and JBL 2404 h (Baby cheeks)

playntheblues

these guys always have some 2404Hs around...

http://www.hticsproaudio.com/used%20pro%20audio%20-%20speaker%20components%20for%20sale_1.html

I also see them from time to time on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14980&item=5742520761&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If you don't mind me asking, what do you plan to do with these and the others? tony

Playn, Does the University go down to 400Hz? PWK dropped them in favor of the Atlas made K-55 to mate better at that frequency. That's the problem, most medium format drivers, they don't go low enough. You can get away with a higher cut off on LaScalas but Khorns are limited by the bass horn. Q-man used 311 horns and 2" Altec drivers with good results.

I am using the 2404H's on my Khorns now. I have them in their own little boxes on top. They do need a little attenuation though being 105DbW v the Khorns 104DbW. I put an 8 ohm L-pad in the HF circuit to better match them. They go higher, cleaner than the K-77s but, if you have a bad CD, they let you know!

I have an extra pair I have $250 in if you can't find anything cheaper. You'll have to go to Wal Mart and get your own boxes though.2.gif

Rick

3dzapper, You've got too love this forum! So many folks have traveled the path and are willing to share their information1.gif Yes I would like to buy them. I was talking with Bob Cities earlier today and he mentioned the L pad. I also know Eric just built a set of crossovers with L pads. What would work the best as far as the attenuation goes? Also do you really like the baby cheeks?

As far as the University going down to 400Hz I didn't check 6.gif A guy who has been a Klipsch nut for 30 years was telling me that the SH-AF was the best he had found, he said it was night and day better????? I figured for a couple of hundred bucks I would try it. If it didn't work out I could sell the Universities. But I was really looking forward to a great find9.gif Have you herad them? You thoughts are appreciated, Guy

You know my friend did tell me that the University just plugs right in heres his quote " I now have a "pair" of 1953/54 horns with JBL 2404H tweeters, University SAHF in K-5-J wood horn, and Stephens 103-LX2 woofers. IMHO, this is the best best combination I've found so far. Te system usually startles me at least once every listening session... it's sounds very "real"."

I used the same ones as Erik: Parts Express #260-262 $5.90 ea. I think the face plate, if you want one, is 90c. It's easy to wire them in. These are the 8 ohm ones for the tweeter. If you want to play with the squaker level you need the 16 Ohm ones #260-261.

I have never heard the Universitys. I was just asking questions that I would have if I were contemplating such a change. When Khorns had them from the factory, they had the 500/5000 x-over and wood/glass squaker horns.

Send me an email on the JBLs so we can arriange payment and shipping at: rjw7798@aol.com.

Rick

Edit: WOW! I didn't think it took me that long to look up those part #s. Your friend has the older horns I talked about above. Klipsch made other changes in the years between your friends Khorns and ours. One was the change to the K-33 woofer. That also entailed a change in the slot opening in front of the woofer. I believe the Stevens had a 6x13" opening. We have a 3X13" opening.

The University SA-HF drivers cover 90-10,000 cps.

Last single I saw on eBay sold for $9.98 as it was mislabeled 5A-HF. Came mated to a K-1000 horn found in the Shorthorns. They are wonderful drivers, and I currently have a pair mated to Altec 511B horns atop Klipschorn bass bins. Also have a pair in my '59 Shorthorns. In my opinion, they sound sweeter than the K-55-V's all day long.

Chris