Surrounds...KSF-S5s or KSP-S6s???

SilverSport

The KSP-S6s are one step up the food chain for surround speakers...they are of the dipole variety (not good for multichannel music listening I'm told)...If you were going to use your multichannel 5.1 system, would you "upgrade" to the KSP-S6s or stick with the KSF-S5s...(I would RATHER have Heresy rears but alas, room is somewhat tight.)

Thanks for any help.

Bill

----------------

On 1/10/2005 5:26:57 AM silversport wrote:

The KSP-S6s are one step up the food chain for surround speakers...they are of the dipole variety (not good for multichannel music listening I'm told)...If you were going to use your multichannel 5.1 system, would you "upgrade" to the KSP-S6s or stick with the KSF-S5s...(I would RATHER have Heresy rears but alas, room is somewhat tight.)

Thanks for any help.

Bill
----------------

I guess the answer would depend on what speakers you wanted to match the surrounds to--are you matching to another set of KSF mains or something else, perhaps the Heresy line you mentioned? If you're a purist about voice matching and you've got KSF mains, you'd probably want to stick with KSF surrounds to keep the voice-match between drivers as close as possible. In theory, this would help you maintain a more seamless soundfield for surrounds/panning effects that wouldn't call attention to the change between speakers/sound sources. However, the KSP-S6s were also the only "sanctioned" surround match for the Legend series (I used to have a pair myself before I went with all matching KLF-C7s for side and rear surrounds) so they're pretty difficult to find, what with both Legend AND Synergy series owners looking to snag the few remaining sets floating around Audiogon or eBay.

But if you're just asking in general which would be preferable, the KSP-S6s are certainly a beefier speaker with two cones and two horns to the KSF's 1 and 2 design. I believe with the S6 you'd get a more uniformly dispersed soundfield since you'd have a full-range signal spread across all 180 degrees of the speaker's coverage; the KSF surround only offers a single woofer at the 90 degree point and two horns off-axis from each other. This could conceivably lead to "holes" in frequency response depending on the listener's location in relation to the speaker or its various drivers. However, in a small room like yours, such placement issues may not be a major factor; in which case, you might not notice any real advantage of one over the other beyond the obvious "voicing" differences of the KSF vs. KSP drivers and horn array (of which I cannot comment since I've never heard the KSF line myself).

Thanks Snails_Pace:

I did mean with the Heresys...I tried to get some off of audiogoN and they were already spoken for so I went with plan "B" since I had read they were difficult to find (Oh, 1 guy here has them but won't ship to the MidWest and the other sold them a year ago...15.gif )so as soon as I bought "plan B", the KSF-F5s...a set of KSP-S6s came up not far from my home albeit at almost twice what I paid for my not yet received KSF-S5s...wondered if it was worth getting the KSPs and re-selling the KSF-S5s...

Thanks,

Bill

----------------

On 1/11/2005 2:45:29 PM silversport wrote:

Thanks Snails_Pace:

I did mean with the Heresys...I tried to get some off of audiogoN and they were already spoken for so I went with plan "B" since I had read they were difficult to find (Oh, 1 guy here has them but won't ship to the MidWest and the other sold them a year ago...
15.gif
)so as soon as I bought "plan B", the KSF-F5s...a set of KSP-S6s came up not far from my home albeit at almost twice what I paid for my not yet received KSF-S5s...wondered if it was worth getting the KSPs and re-selling the KSF-S5s...

Thanks,

Bill
----------------

Well, you certainly won't be disappointed with the S6s...they're an incredible surround speaker though the pricing issues have gotten a little out of hand over the past few years as they become even more difficult to find. I'm afraid I can't speak to how they would mate with your Heresys though; a lot depends on how much you paid for your F5s to know if almost twice the price would still be a good deal. But if you're simply looking for a more robust surround that will provide you a fuller-range signal over a wider lisenting area, you can't go wrong with the KSP-S6--they don't even make the vaunted Reference surrounds with that design! Good luck.