Built in LaScala

thomwake

I have been following many threads on this forum for awhile now (approx. 1 year) and I have gotten a lot of valuable information. Today I decided to join in because I have finally decided to construct my own set of LaScalas. I know what you are all thinking - Oh boy here we go again. In many areas I'm sure that you're right. But one area I am very skilled in is construction. I have been a professional cabinet/furniture maker for 19 years so I don't anticipate any problems there. But I still have questions. My biggest question is can I integrate a pair of LaScalas into a entertainment center? Room is not a problem. The dimensions of the center are 14'x 8'x 46".

So, my question is: are there any concerns with my plan? Oh, BTW I already have all the components needed to build a pair of speakers; 2 K33-E woofers, 2 K55-m sqwakers, 2 k77 tweeters and a pair of home made x-overs (used ALK plans). So what do you think? Thom

Welcome to the Forum>

Glad you posted.

I've owned 2 pair of LaScalas, so there's no here we go again, not to worry.

Both pair were in a 2 channel system 1 pair atop the other with the top pair inverted.

As I am one to favor corner placement that would be a concern. Toe-in is a factor.

The "sweet spot" would be my next.

From your post I'm not sure what you'll have for Center. I would have a concern for weight if you decide to move, or change placement.

If you've thought of the issues I brought up, my next would be shielding. Then I would wonder about whether you plan on a sub.

After that, depending on design, I really don't see any reason not to go with what YOU want.

All of those questions can be answered in your design. I note them as what I would consider.

Good Luck. Post some pics when done.

dodger

are you planning on making the "lascalas" physically part of the entertainment center? Or do you plan on making them seperately and placing them on top or inside?

Considering that you have all the parts, why aren't you building some khorns instead?

----------------

On 1/10/2005 12:29:54 PM dodger wrote:

I believe that the folds and additional height may be factors in that idea.

But having them in corners and going from there would be unique.

Some are happy with LaScalas.

dodger
3.gif

----------------

But if he's custom building everything, then I see no reason why he can't build a bass bin on it's side so that the side walls are like the floor of the original design...kinda like Q-Man's center khorn. 2.gif (at least I think it's Q-Man with that insane setup...)