Chorus Sound Improves With Equipment Upgrades

Dawson's Ridge

I have completed a first-stage upgrade of my audio equipment and the resulting improvement in sound from my Chorus speakers is stunning. The sound overall is extremely natural and crystal clear. The increased sound quality from some of my old phono records is amazing but still can't touch what I now hear from newly recorded CDs and remasterd recordings using 20 bit technology.

The equipment upgrades included a new McIntosh solid state amp, Grado cartlidge and DH Labs Silver Sonic speaker cables and interconnects. Within reasonable cost and size limits and under typical room arrangements and normal listening levels, I just can't imagine any noticeable sound improvement over the Chorus now that I have it hooked up to some state-of-the-art equipment.

You do not name the name of the CD player or the type of Grado cart.

I alwys read about McIntosh with great respect and have heard nice demos from my Klipsch Dealer, Almas HIFI in Dearborn MI

Never found a deal on a MC component. Or I would have snatched one up by now.

They are supposed to make a really rugged CD player or changer for a transport I would like to try sometime.

Commercial electronics companies just do not consisently have the passion and sweat invested in the design , build and associated performance of a component in order to be musical.

Exceptions of course abound, some being Pioneer ELite and Sony ES digital players (SACD )for instance.

Welcome to the club.

I am currently running a Sony 520ESII CD player. My turntable is a Denon DP 72L direct drive unit. The new Grado cartridge is their Prestige Gold model. Wow, what an improvement in the sound of my phono records. I can now hear the slightest detail in the recordings..in vocals it sounds like the performer is directly in front of you, live!

As you have discovered, Klipsch speakers reveal equipment upgrades exceedingly well; some of the most revealing speakers I have ever heard. My Fortes have seen their share of different equipment feeding them, and they LOVE high-quality amps and connectors; a great pre-amp is also crucial for getting that "you are there" sound.

It's good to hear that there are others who have had similar experiences.

I am considering the McIntosh MCD205 CD changer as my next upgrade, although I'm not sure the "juice is worth the squezzing". As you elude, it is a well built unit and would look great with my new MA6500 amp. But in a conversation with McIntosh even they admitted that I would be hard pressed to hear any audible difference on most music material over the Sony ES unit. Something to consider.