The Replacements

ooteedee

BESIDES the Klipsch K33,55,77.......

What are some suitable replacement speakers for the LaScala?

As some of you know, I'm well on my way to buildig the cabinets...and I plan on upgrading the components "relatively" soon.

I've seen some nice $40-$60 drivers on PartsExpress. (Pioneer, Eminence, etc)

Nice mid drivers, tweeters for around that.

Assuming I DON'T buy Klipsch...(Even though I know some of you will insist that $130 K33 is the cheapest speaker to buy)......

What else is good?

Also assuming that I'm going to take D-Mans advice and make the motorboard opening 6x13 inches. And also make a standard 3x13 motorboard around, too...just in case.

Like....how about the following Mid range driver? (The mid driver I have is no good. Rolls in at 2000hz.) So this mid driver would actually go in the speaker right now.

QSL QSD20 HORN DRIVER

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-474

My previous tweeters were the Eminence APT-50 in the wide horn. About $35 each, would be ok, and are 104db sensitivity rated which is right in there.

I use a Selenium D305 phenolic 2" throat mid driver, $99 ea, and this is where you want to put the money (the midrange driver and horn). Bad midrange is what most people are complaining about when they talk about horns being "shouty" or harsh. Also go with a wider dispersion angle of at least 90 deg. horizontal. Less than that and you got a boatload of harsh coming straight at you, and with a cheaper driver, look out!

I have a pair of Eminence Kappa 15LF's and I'm sure that those would be fine in the La Scala using the wider throat cavity opening. $80 ea.

Another candidate woofer is the Eminence Legend 15CB at $113 ea.

DM

DrWho: Thank you.

D-Man: Thank you, too.

Bsafirebird: You're useless. ;)

You may as well have typed "like...duh!" on the end of your post. Despite what you may think, I am capable of an exhaustive search of the internet for speakers that would match Klipsch parameters.

Anybody could.

But I was hoping to avoid that search and was counting on the good nature of some of the folks on this site to help me out. Which they did.

So....I'll kindly ask again: Got any specific ideas? I value all opinions.

Nobody has commented on the mid range horn driver info I posted from Parts Express.

(From the ad)

The QS D20 compression driver is characterized by excellent mid to high frequency reproduction and is perfect for use as a midrange in a high power professional sound system. Features a durable Phenolic diaphragm and 2" Kapton voice coil. This driver provides wide band response, high power handling, and high SPLs. Utilizes standard 1" throat and 1-3/8"-18 TPI screw-on threads.

*Power handling: 50 watts RMS/100 watts max *Voice coil diameter: 2" *Impedance: 8 ohms *Frequency response: 500-7,000 Hz *SPL: 107 dB 1W/1m (w/264-315 horn) *Magnet weight: 13 oz. *Dimensions: diameter: 5", depth: 2-11/16"

Seem like a good idea?

It's no K55 but ........

Comments?

The sorry truth of the matter is that you tend to get what you pay for...

In all my messing around with speaker components, the one thing that I have found is that the quality of output tends to correspond directly to price.

However, since you will have an easily upgradable platform in the LaScalas, I would say get SOMETHING to listen to, you can always upgrade to quality later when you can afford it and find it desirable.

There is something to be said in that the satisfaction of DIY has an effect, too. So that is also worth something...

DM2.gif

Well.....Ok.

I will make this promise to all of you.

I will upgrade next Fall to better drivers, mids, tweets, xovers.

In the meantime.....I will live with what I have.

However, I will buy those mid range drivers I mentioned above.... right now. The mid drivers I have are wrong.

So...thanks for all the comments. I do appreciate it.

PS: Construction is coming along nicely. Woofer doors are cut, motorboards are cut, t-nuts are in, baffles/wings with proper angles are done, doghouse sides are done. Doghouse roof is next. It will be trickier than the wings but I will be patient. The Barn will sound great relatively soon.

PPS: rtaylor: Your post is funny. Thanks

1.gif