Terminology

Coytee

Regarding 2A3's, I've read some of the following

2A3 mesh-plate or 2A3SL? (Solid plate?). I think I read soemthing once about them being heated (directly heated?)

All this has me thinking there is more than one flavor of 2A3? Different engines in the same chassis kind of thing.

If every possible 2A3 was sitting in a row before us, would they all be interchangable? Do they all work the same? Are some of them, NONinterchangable because they are mesh verses solid plate? Any inherent benefit/disadvantage of the kind of plate?

What's all that stuff mean?

I outta just go get my MBA in EE 3.gif

Questions questions questions

More examples: Cunningham 2A3 Monoplates , Arcturus Monoplates, RCA VT95 Black Plates, vintage Monoplates,

I'm doing a lot of reading after having done a search on "2A3" and I'm copying some of these things from some of the threads. It might be as simple as brands. for us uninitiated (like me 3.gif ) who havn't figured that out yet... it just adds to the confusion.

It is true that different 2A3 tubes have slightly different flavors. The mesh plate tubes are significantly more expensive than other current production tubes. Another thing that I believe makes some difference... is that what you hear is the particular 2A3 tube in a particular circuit. So, the circuit is the context for any particular tube. A complementary relationship is what we have here. Some tubes sound better in one circuit than another. I also think, that there is more difference between the sound as a result of the difference in the circuit than there is in the difference of the tubes.

After listening to some mesh plate TJ and AVVT, which look very cool as well as sounding good, I decided that my favorite tube in the Wright amplifier is an RCA 2A3. Now, the Sovtek 2A3 which is in current production and very inexpensive sounds VERY much like the RCA. I think I can tell the slightest difference between them, but I also know which tube is in the amp when I think I hear the difference. I'm not confident that I could distinguish the tubes in a blind test. After listening the the mesh plates for a season and eventually selling them, I've got high regard for the Sovtek 2A3. The RCA's are nice, but they won't be around forever, either.