Crazy idea: Chorus II's with new Synergy center?

kenratboy

Am I just CRAZY, or could it work?

The idea is the center would NOT keep up with the mains, but the center is more speaker than I would ever use for home theater, so I wouldn't need a monster center.

This would be the largest center, the C-3 (dual 6.5" woofs and the 1" Al dome horn)

Would they come close to matching, or is this just CRAZY?

If it works, it would save me a lot of money!!!

i think it MIGHT work ok. but since the center is so important id get something that matches better(otherwise you'll get "upgrade fever" later on). a heritage speaker would be the best mathc but cant recommend a model. sorry im of little help

scp53

edit: Olorin beat me to the post. go with his recommendation

----------------

On 1/12/2005 10:37:27 PM lipinski wrote:

Is it a good thing to be called a bloke?

----------------

Haha, my parents always told me it was inpolite, but all my european friends call each other blokes and I've since gotten in the habit. I guess it's one of those more personal terms (kinda like freak, i dunno).

Ken,

A Synergy center is not the best to match your Chorus II speakers, but you already know this. A Heresy or Cornwall would be better. Since this recommendation is unlikely to be practical for you, try setting your receiver for a PHANTOM center, i.e., no center. If you can listen in the sweet spot, then the sound will be very good.

Trying the phantom center is free. You can then move out of the sweet spot to see how other listeners might be affected.

Bill

Have you given a Forte any thought?

RE: Bloke not Impolite.

Thought it is English Cockney origins, actually Gaelic, spread through UK, Wales.

Basically a term for close friend, male.

Found its way to America, via an NYC Police Chief listing it in his Dictionary.

dodger

I'm using a single Quartet center with my Chorus II mains and I'm very happy with this. You can remove the base and take a couple of inches off the height to help with space limitations and placement. The mid range driver in the Quartet matches the Chorus II (most important for vocals)... the high range driver is the same as used in the Academy... the larger woofer gives deeper lows than the Academy. This option is also less expensive than an Academy or Belle.

I bought a pair of Quartets to get my center channel and I'm selling the spare... search on Quartet to find the thread.

----------------

On 1/13/2005 1:49:39 AM kenratboy wrote:

And just where am I supposed to put the Forte!!!??? eBay and Google images show it as a big floorstander.

I could deal with a single Heresy, but thats about it.

Anyone got a single Heresy FS?
3.gif

----------------

Sorry for mentioning that Ken. I DON't know your room size.

My thought was matching.

Pardon the post.

dodger

I'm not planning on keeping the extra Quartet for several reasons.

1. Using a 5.1 setup. Most listening is music (CDs, SACDs) or concert DVDs... I don't find many of these mixed for more channels. I also watch some movies but this is a secondary interest.

2. My room is being taken over by speakers, electronics, etc. A rear center and/or side surrounds create increased location/wiring problems and would make the room too crowded. If movies were a greater interest I might consider this but with Chorus II mains, Forte II rears and a Quartet center, I'm already giving lots of space to the speakers I have... and enjoying these to the point of not desiring more. (This is my family room/den... and no plans to turn it into a HT.)

3. And probably most important... the wife factor... my wife thinks I've already gone overboard... and I don't think the added benefit is worth pushing this further. (But, don't get me wrong... I'm VERY happy with my setup the way it is. My wife even suggested going with the larger Forte IIs instead of Heresies for the rear... just another reason to love her!)