Leok and or Wolfram - Blackgate mod to Phillips 963SA?

I just picked up a Phillips 963 and want to do the Blackgate cap mod. I read LeoK's old thread and have a few questions:

1. Others have mentioned that it takes about 200 hours to break in the cap. However, Leo mentioned (I think) in another thread that he was working on a method of breaking the cap in on the workbench before install. Has this been perfected yet?

2. Draining the old cap. I am assuming that I just use a resistor across the taps to drain the old cap. Am I correct and what size and specs for the resistor?

3. I need to buy a new soldering iron. Need reccomendations. Rat Shak has a $30 gun style model that is 150w/240w. I think that I probably need one of these and a pen style iron (what wattage)? I need to be able to solder on a circuit board and on lugs for resistors, capacitors, etc and my old iron is way too weak. Are the Rat Shak models up to the job or should I be looking on ebay for an industrial unit?

Thanks,

Chris

PS - Thanks Chris Robinson. You posted the 963 in an older thread. I waited a week and then called because it was local. Picked up a really clean almost unused unit with boxes for $225.

Congrats, Chris - I am sure you'll like the player 9.gif .

To your questions: I don't know about Leo's method. I just let the unit play until the sound remained stabe. The person who performed the mod didn't drain the old cap. The player had been used before (but not on 24/7), he switched it off, waited a short while....out went the old, in went the new....no problem.

I don't know about a soldering iron, but I guess you don't have to invest a fortune for de-soldering and inserting this one cap.

Sorry for not being more specific, but I'd rather leave that for DIY guys 2.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 1/16/2005 3:29:27 PM dubai2000 wrote:

I don't know about a soldering iron, but I guess you don't have to invest a fortune for de-soldering and inserting this one cap.

Sorry for not being more specific, but I'd rather leave that for DIY guys
2.gif

Wolfram

----------------

I am looking for soldering irons to replace the cap and build a two sets of ALK's, so I need something that will work. I also believe in always buying the right tool so when I need it later I already have it.

Chris