Joe Cocker: Across from Midnite Tour DVD

picky

I bought this one as a suprise for Mrs. Picky. She just loves Joe Cocker.

Instead...I was the one who was surprised.

To our dismay, this DVD has a dreadful soundtrack on it that nearly spoiled Joe's entire performance. It did not matter whether we selected the Dolby or the DTS 5.1 soundtracks: Both were SO compressed that one could bearly hear the words coming from Joe's mouth. Instrumetal solos were noticably flat, as were the backing vocals. Whomever mixed this dreadful mess down should have their fingers broken so they'll not mix again.....EVER! Being a former concert soundman myself, I could not believe anyone in the control chain could have allowed this one to slip through. At first we thought, maybe they're just playing Joe's mic down because he's having a bad night. WRONG! Joe, as usual, sang his heart out and was hitting all of the right notes. You simply couldn't hear him clearly.

Now, I'm in search of a better rendition of a Joe Cocker concert. Anyone have any recommended favorite Live Cocker DVDs?

Don't waste your time (and Moo-la) on this one, folks. The concert was great, but the sound sucks! 14.gif

JOE, YOU DESERVE BETTER THAN THIS!

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the same crew mixed "Rush in Rio". Unfortunately, among the MANY DVD concerts I own, this is the worst sounding.

In a past post, a few Rush fans became angry with my opinion. I too am a big Rush fan..but that doesn't mean I am supposed to ignore the fact that the sound is POORLY mixed.

I hope Rush records another...........

Mike

MikeKid: It's too bad that you were only expressing your opinion about the quality of the video and the readers thought you were bashing Rush...a band that you obviously enjoy. Perhaps, it was in the wording you chose and they misconstrued what you meant? My wife and I absolutely enjoy Joe Cocker and he's always got great band's backing him. But the production on this DVD is really an insult to their performance. I would imagine that's what you were probably trying to get across about Rush, right?

Hey, Hangman: Is the new Pink Floyd Pulse concert DVD out yet?? 3.gif I hope so; I've been waiting years for that one!

I just checked and Amazon says they are still out of print, but a few collectors that grabbed the few that were sold back in 2000 are selling them started at $79.00. I don't think so! Not for a Full-Screen (Non-Widescreen) version! 15.gif

Thanks for the heads-up on Joe(my wifes a big fan)but I hate poor concert recordings.I also agree 110% about Rush in Rio,the gang that mixed that should never mix anything,BIG let down on the audio side.

Strange as it is I picked up Steppenwolf live in Louisville,outside by the riverfront,its one of the best dvds audio wise I own of about 200,simply oustanding audio.