Cornwall Driver question

horn player

Just picked up a 1985 Cornwall from another member of this forum who purchased it new. It's all original. The drivers are mounted on the back side of the mounting plate, yet the midrange horn is plastic and integrated with the driver. Were many made like this? Just curious! Was this an experiment?

My 1989 Cornwalls have the same midrange horn you are talking about although mine is mounted from the front (K-57-K ) In fact I just received a new midrange horn and driver from Klipsch so they still have these lying around. The plastic horn is the same horn they've been using K 600 just cast out of plastic. Dan

horn, u have the so-called Cornwall I 1/2. those were in the transition period of the corn from I to II. believe they started those late '84 til the cornwall II came out in '85.

they are officially cornwall I, but w/ a plastic mid horn K-55-V.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-15-2001 at 03:14 AM

jim, yea i'd say those would have to be '84-'85 if they

have an original plastic mid horn rear mounted.

1st 2 numbers of serial number would be the year.

looks like u do have the I 1/2. Biggrin.gif

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-15-2001 at 03:15 AM

Also, 1 set is mitered and birch laminated and the other set is not!!!

These have the original K-77-M tweeters and the plastic mids, i do think these were built right before the cornwall 2 era!!

They seemed to follow mine, by the looks of my cornwalls!!

The backs are srewed on just like the older sets, and the drivers are mounted from the inside!!

And another thing, i think the laminated set is white ash!! This is a very hard lamination, ive sanded them down, and refurbished them a little!!

And, the lamination looks a lot like oak!! Not birch!!

CBLS cornwall birch laquer stain!!

I think there worth more than the 800.00, and 267.00 tweeters i put in them!!

The other set, isnt mitered, its just fitted one panel, against the other, and i can see this looking at them!!

Well, better go Jim

BOA

Also i have 3 woofers that have round magnets, thats including my spare, and the o ther set has square magnets!!!!!!!

Ive benn stupmped here, who makes the woofers, and the mids for this year cornwalls?????

My last question finally answered!!

I hope!!

Cornwalls

Cornwalls

Pyramid amp

Magnovox 5 disc

Harmon kardon single

800 cds

Dish network

Optimus HI FI VCR

Pioneer sx 950

Quintets, for the hell of it LOL

Jim

PS all mcintosh was sold, for new mini van!!

u mean who made them then? i always thought EV (electro-voice) for squawker & tweet, & CTS woofer.

apparently they went to all eminence in the early '80s.

here's the best info on cornwalls i've found. under components they don't really know for sure either cwm3.gif

http://www.belgaudio.com/kcmap.htm

This message has been edited by boa12 on 08-15-2001 at 03:18 AM

Ive heard STS and Emmenence!!

For the woofers, the mids i have no idea!!!

Klipschguy might know, or Steve P!!

Or even mac Klipsch, ive never asked this!!

Well lets see what happens, maybe Bob.G will jump in here!!

Itll have to be the same manufacturer as the cornwall 2s!!

But i have both round and square magnets here, with 2 sets of cornwalls, and the square set, seem to put out more bass than the round!!!

Hopefully my crazy question will be answered Jim

According to PWK himself in an interview conducted by Bruce Edgar for SpeakerBuilder he used Magnavox, Jensen, Stephens, Ev, CTS and Eminence woofers, in that order. Mid drivers were WE, University, Atlas and lastly EV. The EV T-35 was 1st used in 1958 replacing a University model. The one piece horn-drivers used in later Cornwalls were a result of Klipsch buying Hepner, a manufacturer of inexpensive drivers. They made a little horn-driver unit that was good from 800hz up and was popular in the 70s with DIY hornys who couldn't afford Altec, EV and JBL. I used those things myself and they weren't bad. This unit was improved and became the new Cornwall II driver. As for Heritage driver identification; ferrite mid drivers are EVs, smooth, sorta hemisphereical Alnico mids are Atlas, Alnico mids in a cheap looking stepped metal can are Universitys. Anybody into horns should know a WE driver when he sees it, most are in Japan anyway. :-) As for woofers I'm not sure about telling CTS apart from Eminence but CTS went under in the 70s as I recall. Whether a woofer is a Jensen, Stephens or Ev is pretty obvious, look them up on Ebay for pictures. Anybody wants to get rid of those junky Stephens woofers drop me a line, I'll take them of your hands :-)