Suggestions?????

texxas guy

Moving to a new house in about a month. I currently have the Legend 20's for the main fronts, and a RC-3 center. Been using some JBL Controls for surrounds due to lack of room in current home. I will have a dedicated room for my theater in the new home. Question is, what would you guys recommend for the surrounds that would go well with the Legend's? I was thinking the RS-7, RS-35 or maybe even another set of floorstanding or bookshelf. Thanks for the input in advance....great site!

another pair of legends (klf-20's if that is what you have). or the ksp-s6 that was suggested by klipsch to go with them. they are kind of hard to find though and you can only get them used. I use a pair of heresy II's with mine. they seem to work well. by the way i use a rc-3II as my center.

Greetings from Big D, Tex. Many here will say the timbre will not match up. That you should get something from the klf series to match.

While I certainly agree that matching speakers would be the ideal situation, I was not willing to pay what the market demanded for an Academy which would probably have trouble keeping up with my Cornwalls anyway.

Also didn't have the room for a Cornwall center, so I get myself an RC-7 from Tweeter when they quit carrying Klipsch for $550. No, it doesnt match my Cornwalls perfectly, but it will dang sure keep up with 'em, no problemo. I guess I have become accustomed to it or am losing even more of my hearing, because I hardly noticte the timbre mismatch anymore.

Just my two cents worth.

Flame away!!10.gif

no the rs-35 would not timbre match, but they are still klipsch, and they would still have the same type of sound. I would work, just like i mixed min e lby using heresy II';s as my surrounds. I notice the timber mismatch, but i does not sound horrible, and it does noit bother me. The center would be more of a concern and since you nor i (having basically same center) care about that to much. i would think the rs-35's would work just fine for you use.

T-Guy,

I recommend a pair of KLF-10s for the rear, and a KLF-C7 for the center. This is a no-compromise system in terms of sound, and a WAF compromise system in terms of the surround size.

There is a KLF-C7 on eBay right now with a $275.00 BIN. I didn't look closely, but if it is in good shape this is an extraordinary deal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5746774485&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

T-Guy,

If you want the best timbre or voice match, sell the RC-3 center and buy all KLF series speakers. The size of your room and the placement requirement of the speakers will determine which ones will work best. As you can see from my signature, I'm a Legend man myself. Don't get carried away with size (klf-30's & 20's) unless you have a large room. I had 5 KLF-30's in my 16 x 28 x 9 theater room and decided to use KLF-C7's for all the surrounds. Easier to position and the 30's were just overkill when used as surrounds...IMO.

Most of all... do what sounds good to you...1.gif

what receiver or preamp/amp are you planning on using with these speakers?

the reason that i ask is that more than a few of the newer receivers have the auto eq/ room correction feature which does a 5 band or 9 band digital equalization on every channel... this equalization does help the different speakers match much more closely than just setting the levels of every channel...

this does allow my KLF-30's (powered by a carver pro digital amp) to match amazingly close to my RS-3's that I use for my surrounds....

(i have a pioneer elite 55txi with the MCACC auto eq feature)

Wow, thanks for all the replies.....been out of touch the last couple of days finalizing details for closing on the new house. I am using a Rotel 1095 amp and Rotel 1066 processor, which I think goes great with the KLF-20's. I think I have ruled out on going with a floor standing spkr. Just not enough room. Really leaning towards the RB-35, since I listen to a lot of SACD as well. As far as timbre match, I think I've come to the conclusion that I probably can't tell the difference anyway, since I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears...probably from too much rock&roll back in the 70's...LOL)

popbumper,

Yeah, Mesquite actually. And yes, there are a LOT of hornheads in this area. The DFW Hornheads were holding listening sessions all around town a while back, but I don't know if they still are.

Eqshadimar, a respected member of this forum would know.

Good choice with the center. I also suffer from tennitus, from too much shooting throughout my life.

And I'm sure the R&R in the 70s didn't help much. When I saw AC-DC in 79, my ears rang non stop for two days.

Vavoline:

Very cool, Mesquite is a stone's throw. Jeff (eqshadimar) seems to have dropped off as of late, it would be nice if we could have some more local listening sessions. Ever in/near Richardson, give me a heads up and come listen to my "almost all Heritage" HT (Forte/Academy/KG2). It's a modest setup by some of what I've seen here, but I sure do enjoy it!!

Popbumper