McIntosh MA 6400 - Urgent Help

fgarib

Hey guys,

Just got news of availibility of a floor model MA 6400. How is it?

I wanted to hook it up on my Khorns, because I can't for the life of me find any good bloody tube amplification in Pakistan!! Sick and tired of looking, but that's another story completely.

The price that I'm being quoted is just around US$ 2,000. Methinks the price to be a bit on the higher side, although the piece is actually flawless in appearance.

Remote, manual, box and all are intact.

Wanted to know if anyone has any experience using it, and if so, what should I expect with my horns once it's hooked up?

Thanks for the help... I need to decide immediately, hence the urgency.

-F

I have that amp and it was hooked up to my klipschorns for more than year before I switched to my current tube amp. It sounded wonderful, very dynamic, powerfulbass, extended transparent highs....very quiet...I thought is was almost perfect. the only problem I ran into wa that it was too powerful for my klipschorns so I had problems getting a volume I liked with the stepped volume control, one setting was just a little low, the other a little high (I never saw above 9o'clock) on the volume control. I paid $2,400 from audio classics so I suspect you should pay less than $2,000 if it is not perfect and has not been gone over recently by a top tech. you will not be dissapointed with this unit. regards, tony

Tony,

Thanks for the help... Much appreciated. I picked it up to audition the darn thing (how I convinced him, I don't know but hey! I did 9.gif )

I like it. The bass is definitely very, very tight. I am also having the volume problem, but I think that I can live with it for now because the room that I will eventually put the speakers and amp in is quite big.

Thanks a lot for the price indication. The unit is (apparently) like new, but I am going to try to talk him down to about 1700. If yes, then I'll keep it, otherwise I'll be Mac Amp-less yet again.

Thanks for the help, friend.

-F

glad I could help, let us know how it turns out, one of the the things I like most is that you can adjust the sound of the McIntosh integrated, the tone controls and loudness function really come in handy...just for laughs don´t forget to look at the ad for the 6500 on audiogon, if this one falls through that one would be a great consolation prize! warm regards, tony

Hey there,

A strange problem has surfaced during my audition. It freaked me out a little bit, but when I set the balance all the way to the left channel, my left KHorn started crackling. Sounds almost like it does when speaker wires cross.

Checked all my cables, and it was to the point where I had eliminated it down to either the speaker or the amp. Turns out thankfully that it's the amp.

The thing is, though that it works perfectly when the balance is set in the middle.

The price and this factor are quickly making me decide not to buy this amp. I'm hoping that this is a simple thing that I can fix up myself, like carbon collection or something. I love the sound, but it might not be worth it.

Any help would be appreciated.

-F

most likely dirt in the balance control

slowly turn it all the way right and left several times

also if you have access to a can of clean/dry air you can blow the control out wile turning it

hope this helps

i dont know what it would cost to ship something from the us but i bet it would more than make up the differance in cost vs buying on the internet

jay