Who makes the woofers for cornwalls

Jim Cornell

I have 2 pair of cornwalls, nothing new to most here LOL, 1984 and 1985, one set has square magnets, the other round!!

The square seem to have more bass, the question is, who makes either set of woofers???

Also, who makes the mids, sqwakers?

Take note, that the set with the square magnets were bought in Germany, they are all marked K-33-E?

Both round and square!!

CTS or Eminence, is what ive heard, but my cornwalls are so close to the cornwall 2s, i just need to know!!

Regards Jim

jim, i started this trouble a while back Biggrin.gif

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001043.html

i replaced mine a few years back & they were the K-33-E

as i believe were also those i replaced. round magnets

on both sets.

the squares sound like CTS, though they may still have been stamped k-33-E. or maybe eminence made square magnets too. or are the squares stamped k-33-E for sure?

All stamped K-33-E for sure, and is one a better woofer than the other?

All sqwakers are K-55-V plastic horns, and the tweeters are the standard K-77-Ms!!

The magnets are also different on the sqwakers??

One set stamped Klipsch, the other not, their just stamped K-55-V, without Klipsch!

Those are the Germany set, with the aquare magnets!!

Regards Jim

ok, guess i was wrong on the I 1/2 then. all those did

was use a plastic K-55-V instead of metal. guess they didn't bother changing the model # as my K-55-V are metal.

on that thread above, John Albright said he had square magnets labeled K-33-E. maybe Eminence made some square or they're CTS or EV. don't know how those got in your cornwalls. german thing i guess. i'm spent.

Sleep.gif

Thank you Klipschguy

To me there is a slight more bass with the CTS woofer, and the quality looks as good as the emenence woofers!!

All i need is one more emenence woofer, then i can match all 4! If this is even nessecary!!

The sqwaker and tweeter are both made by EV?

Boa, did you replace your CTS woofers with emenence?

And why?

Also it looks like the square magnets are bigger!!

Thank you Regards Jim

jim, about 3 yrs ago the old kenwood finally blew after

25 yrs & also blew out both of the woofers. they were also K-33-E & Eminence w/ the round mags & klipsch parts sent me the same (looked identical from what i remember).

guess maybe they still used some CTS in the german/european corns (???). wonder when/if CTS went/is out of business.(?)

I know this is weird!!!

These are original, i do know that, also the 1984 have no riser base, i had to make some, and the german 1985 did have the riser!!

Man that SUX, you had to replace the woofers due to an amp burning up, i hope i never go thru that!!!

The CTS woofers were made in the 70s models, and should of been changed in 1980, ive never thought of that, only thing i can think of, were these built in Germany, with an overstock of parts, or were they built in Hope,with the older overstock in parts, to get rid of them!!!!!?????

The EV tweeters i replaced are a little britter than the K-77-Ms ?

Regards Jim

I have a pair of 1981 Cornwall 1's, both woofers have the square magnets and are labeled K-33-E. Don't know if this helps, just figured I'd throw it out here. Jim and boa12 this is probally a good question for Klipsch tech support. I'm very curious as to the differences between square and round magnets, anybody know ?

JJT

i'll try a guess for kicks. right around 1980 both CTS

& EV officially got out of the speaker making biz.

klipsch though still had some of those CTS muds laying around, or maybe still under contract w/ them, through the early 80s, but as KG said stamped those the same as those made by Eminence: K-33-E.

jim, i assume your pair w/ CTS muds are the '84. i'm getting confused though - you say u have 4 mud magnets but one pair has round & other has square. u mean u have mud magnets also on the squawkers in the germans?

I think the round magnet Eminence and the square magnet CTS both use a ceramic magnet. The slurry which is fired to make ceramic magnets, looks like mud, hence the name "mud magnet." So they both use a mud (ceramic) magnet, which is fine - not cheesy nor inferior in any way.

The interesting thing about the CTS woofer is when you enter the specs for a reflex cabinet using a design program, you will be given the EXACT dimensions for the Cornwalls, including the same port depth and size. 3dB down point comes out at 38Hz. 98dB 1m/1w sens. All the same as the Klipsch specs and dimensions. A perfect match.

The CTS and Eminence are both good woofers - I wouldn't worry too much about which one I had.

Rock on,

KG

BOA

All 4 cornwalls have the square magnets on the tweeters!

When i replaced the tweeters i got EV tweeters with round magnets!!

So ill get diaphrams, just to place the Klipsch stamped tweeters back in!!

If im getting the daiphrams from EV, i might just keep the ones i replaced in, no scence swapping them out, if there ganna have the same EV diaphrams!!

Jim