help with a dyna pas 4

joessportster

hello bought a used dyna pas 4 under the guise of works great,(untill you hook it up that is) i am not an electronics type guy and am looking to see if anyone on here has an interest in trying to get this right it emits a loud buzzing or humming noise as soon as the amps are turned on and if you turn on a source it gets worse and the sound is distorted, i would like to maybe fix it but dont want to put a ton of cash into it, if it is a major fix i will donate it to someone that likes to play with these for shipping costs any takers? Joe

Couple of things come to mind:

Disconnect the preamp from the power amp....If the hum persists the problem is with the power amp. If not go to the next step

Try disconnecting everything from the preamp except the leads that connect the preamp to the power amp. If the hum persists then you have a problem with the preamp.....If no hum then go to the next step.

Plug each of your sources in one at a time and test.There may be a problem with a source component or the cabling that connects it.

Check that your turntable is grounded to the chassis of the preamp rather than to the power amp.

If there are unused inputs on the preamp try using shorting plugs on them. ( These are simply normal RCA plugs which have the centre conductor and the shield wired together. You can make them yourself or buy them at a Radio Shack store.

In some cases running a grounding wire from the preamp chassis to the power amp chassis will correct the problem.

Keep us posted.