FrankenScala Update #3

ooteedee

Still not sanded.

Still not stained.

Wired up and actually sounding very impressive. (One day I will listen to a real LaScala)

The back of the HF bin will be enclosed with 1/4" masonite. Primarily to accomodate the L-Pad plate and the speaker input plate that came with the crossover I got on E-bay. (From a parted out Radio Shack Mach 2.. I got for 20 bucks. Yeah, I know. But I got all these components before I decided to make a LaScala. Maybe I'll cover up the Radio Shack logos! On second thought, maybe I'll leave the logos in place. If anyone breaks in to steal something...who's gonna want to steal what appears to be a Radio Shack speaker!)

Also, my Dad offered up several feet of solid birch wood to use to make some nice edging for the front of the speaker. The ply edging looks fine right now but....I'd hate for the things to start delaminating if they're dragged across the barn floor or something. )

Next step: Solder all connecters, make a plate for the crossover to rest upon, mount backplate with L-pad etc, rip the edging, move the beasts into the barn and wait till Spring to stain them. (Maybe. I could stain them in the basement, I guess.)

Onward and Upward.

post-16798-13819261494214_thumb.jpg

Question about your comment on HF motorboard size. You said that 10 3/4 was too short. I just checked the drawings again and the measurements work out correctly. Those are some that are the clearest on the drawings. Can you elaborate?

Marvel

I don't know about the edging, depending on your cabinet finish, I'd be kind of proud to show the 15-ply Baltic Birch. Looks just like the real thing (except for those horns, but hey, you're on a budget, right?)

Very nice cabinetry though. Just put metal sliders on the base so you can drag em around, or better yet, spend $39 on a two-wheeled dolly. But keep em out of the water if they're indeed in the barn.

Michael

colter:

you read my mind.

I was looking at aluminum edging for the bases yesterday at Lowes.

Although it would be a bit ugly. We'll see how it goes. Again...always upgradable.

Most likely I am going to add some big fat casters to the speaker bottom board for easy mobility. The planks in the barn are 100 years old and very rough.

Also .... the actual speaker base boards have not been installed yet. (cover up the woofer door) So they could take the brunt of some of the abuse. Note: I'm gonna use regular 3/4 plywood for those. optimizing the whole project out of 3 sheets of birch plywood prevented me from getting both. I was able to make one speaker bottom board but i had to make the second one out of two leftover boards.((two with 45 degree miter connects)) But i had to use those to make two new HF motorboards.

Which leads me to Marvels question:

the motorboards I made were too short. they were 10 3/4...or whatever the plans call for. Why? I haven't figured that out yet..exactly.

Cut error? No.

Did I make the sides too tall? Maybe. But I don't think so. In fact...No.

I will say this: Someone on this forum said the bass bin top dimension was 3/4" too long. Which was true. I cut it to 23". Which allowed for the HF Motorboard to mount over the bass bin top edge. As OEM.

BUT....With a 23" bass bin top you need a 11 1/2" motorboard. Not 10 3/4"

So I think two dimensions are wrong on the drawings.

UNLESS ...those drawings are for a commercial LaScala. Which are covered with felt. (Right?) So maybe they changed the dimensions a bit so they could be a bit less refined...because they were gonna cover it all up with felt or metal edging.

----------------

On 2/1/2005 10:47:13 AM ooteedee wrote:

Which leads me to Marvels question:

the motorboards I made were too short. they were 10 3/4...or whatever the plans call for. Why? I haven't figured that out yet..exactly.

Cut error? No.

Did I make the sides too tall? Maybe. But I don't think so. In fact...No.

I will say this: Someone on this forum said the bass bin top dimension was 3/4" too long. Which was true. I cut it to 23". Which allowed for the HF Motorboard to mount over the bass bin top edge. As OEM.

BUT....With a 23" bass bin top you need a 11 1/2" motorboard. Not 10 3/4"

So I think two dimensions are wrong on the drawings.

UNLESS ...those drawings are for a commercial LaScala. Which are covered with felt. (Right?) So maybe they changed the dimensions a bit so they could be a bit less refined...because they were gonna cover it all up with felt or metal edging.

----------------

How tall are the sides? I added up all the pieces again (from the drawings), and it adds up correctly. I really want to know so that we can be sure of the dimensions. I'm trying to work up a cleaner set of drawings.

Marvel

It was I who said the Bass Bin Top needed to be 23", but I never double checked the dimension on the HF motor board as I'm not using one for my project. Having said that I just measured the HF motor board on my LS and it is indeed 10 3/4". I also measured the side at 33 3/4"...which begs the question...How long is yours??9.gif