What's the limit on woofer perforations?

cmdridq

Here's an ebay auction for a pair of RF-3II speakers. Well, I think they're RF-3II, they're called RF-3II in the title listing, but RF-3 in the description. Anyway, this guy says the woofers have a few perforations, but that they don't affect the sound at all:

" There are a few perferations in the woofers but it does not affect the sound at all."

I was just curious, does anyone know what the limit is on holes in woofers before it affects the sound playback?;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3321&item=5748603009&rd=1

Guest Anonymous

it depends where they are located, on the dust cap it may not be a big deal as long as the voice coil has not been damaged, on the woofer itself i would be very leary because although it may only be a small hole on the back of the woofer there may be a crease or more damage frm the initial pressure and being really rigid cones i wouldn't be surpirsed, personally i would not buy these speakers, but then again rf3 woofers can be bought on e-bay as well

The RF series uses anodised metal cones. If the cones have been perforated ( actually have holes in them ), they are irreparably damged. On the other had if they have dents they are still unrepairable but the dents will be unlikely to effect the sound of the woofers.

That said I would steer clear of them.