Which HTR? HK AVR335 or Yamaha HTR-5790

echomancer

Until about three weeks ago, I was running a Sony STR-DE985. The subwoofer pre output stopped functioning and I have been told it will cost a little over $300 to get it fixed. Since this receiver is about three years old, and I only paid $450, I've decided that this is a perfect opportunity to upgrade. I've given myself a budget of $500.

I've narrowed my search down to the Harman/Kardon AVR335 and the Yamaha HTR-5790. I am currently running a 3 year old Bo$e 301mkIV based HT system(I was young, don't hurt me) but will be upgrading to a Klipsh RB-35 based HT system.

I've searched through some of the archives and people seem to be happy with both. I plan on using the receiver for 70% HT and 30% Music (from satellite radio and my iPod).

One ? about the Yamaha: Can I get a true bypass of all processing except for the signal decoding on digital signals (ie: I want to hear exactly what the Dolby Digital/DTS content of a DVD is without additional FX processing).

Thanks for the help!

Let's compare the two.

Both are 7.1 receivers

HK rated at 55 watts per channel at 0.07% THD

Yamaha rated at 110 watts per channel at 0.05% THD

Both decode all surround formats.

The Yamaha is THX Select certified the HK is not.

The HK retail for $699 the Yamaha $799

It's always your call but I like the Yamaha.

Guest Anonymous

i'm an hk man, i know that reciever in and out so if you have any questions about it, let me know and i can answer them for you, but personaly from using both i would say that hk is a much warmer sound

I had a chance to run to the local high end theater dealer in town and have a listen to some receivers. I had a chance to compare the Yamaha (the VX-K1500 I think, they told me that it was more or less the HTR-5790) head to head with the Denon 1905 and 2105 (through Klipsch RB-35s). I prefered the Yamaha. The Denons were warmer, but the Yamaha sounded more "open". I suppose I'll run to Circuit City after work to hear the Harman/Kardon, but they don't carry Yamaha to compare it too.

I know both units will sound good. I'm going to go completely on faith with what you guys recommend because you guys have experience, and I know I won't be disapointed either way.

Maybe the HK is more attractive because it doesn't have any DSP beyond decoding... Wish I could afford the AVR435 :)

Keep the input coming, and this newbie audiophile appreciates it!

What is the DTS96/24 support all about???

----------------

On 2/2/2005 1:52:12 PM Gramas701 wrote:

i'm an hk man, i know that reciever in and out so if you have any questions about it, let me know and i can answer them for you, but personaly from using both i would say that hk is a much warmer sound

----------------

gamma, did you own both receivers?

Guest Anonymous

no i had an older yammaha htr 5650 and now i have an hk avr230, but i have had extesive use with the new hk line, and after owning both and using both the hk's sound warmer, but i do not know much about the newer rx line of yammaha's...

EDIT

regardless of what you buy, it will definatly be a hhuge upgrade from your sony that you had

Guest Anonymous

the 5790 is a huge step above the other yamahas for sure, but it still carries its same traditional sound at least i thought so, but just a lot better

OK, I also just found out that the HK won't do video upsampling, which is kind of a turn off... I also can't find that the HK will support 1080i HD signals...

Will the Yamaha let me create a custom input? By that I mean, can I associate a particular digital input with a video input and have it stay that way forever? What about custom titling of the inputs?

And most importantly, is there a mode on the Yamaha where I can listen to a stereo source (CD/DVD player via analog or digital) that will let me listen through my front speakers and my subwoofer only, without applying any of the DSP stuff (Similar to Straight, only I want to hear my sub, because my current speakers have no bass).

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

----------------

On 2/2/2005 3:38:06 PM echomancer wrote:

OK, I also just found out that the HK won't do video upsampling, which is kind of a turn off... I also can't find that the HK will support 1080i HD signals...

Will the Yamaha let me create a custom input? By that I mean, can I associate a particular digital input with a video input and have it stay that way forever? What about custom titling of the inputs?

And most importantly, is there a mode on the Yamaha where I can listen to a stereo source (CD/DVD player via analog or digital) that will let me listen through my front speakers and my subwoofer only, without applying any of the DSP stuff (Similar to Straight, only I want to hear my sub, because my current speakers have no bass).

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it!

----------------

Yes the Yamaha will upconvert to component and video switch 1080i.

Custom inputs, by that I assume to lable and input to say for example

John..the answer is yes.

Yamaha has a direct stereo mode. Will a signal be sent to the sub I'm

not sure. but I think so.

Please know that although I'm a Yamaha man, the HTR series is rated power at 1 Khz, with only one channel driven, not the typical 20-20kHz with ALL channels driven. This gives a misleading power spec. The Yamaha RXV series is rated more traditionally and is a better purchase with better features. I wouldn't buy an HTR unless it was for the garage.

Michael

Well guys, I'd like to thank each and everyone who replied to my question, but alas, I won't be purchasing a new receiver. They guys at the repair shop were idiots. I performed a "memory reset" of my Sony last night and my sub woofer output came back to life, big as ever! As much as I'd like to buy a new receiver, it's still great for Home Theater, and I'm not moving beyond 5.1 for a while.

The good news is that I can get back on track for building my stereo integrated Tube Amp to drive some new Klipsch speakers!

Thanks again for the input. I really appreciate it!