XLR to RCA???

rplace

I have a new pre/pro on the way but still have my three older 2 channel amps. I was wondering if there is any sonic benefit in getting interconnects with XLR connections on one end and RCAs on the other. Most of what I have been able to dig up says that the benefits of XLR cables are noise reduction, ruggedness, and a connection that wont get yanked out. If I dont have any noise issues (at least I dont think I do) is there any reason to go with new cables?

Also what it meant by the term Balanced as it relates to processors with balanced outputs?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

On 2/4/2005 8:21:32 AM rplace wrote:

I have a new pre/pro on the way but still have my three older 2 channel amps. I was wondering if there is any sonic benefit in getting interconnects with XLR connections on one end and RCAs on the other. Most of what I have been able to dig up says that the benefits of XLR cables are noise reduction, ruggedness, and a connection that won’t get yanked out. If I don’t have any noise issues (at least I don’t think I do) is there any reason to go with new cables?

Also what it meant by the term “Balanced” as it relates to processors with balanced outputs?

Thanks, Rich

----------------

if your cable runs are short, you should not be able to hear any differences between an "unbalanced" connection vs a "balanced connection...

unbalanced means that your cable has one conductor down the center of the cable and the other conductor is the shield/ground....

in a balanced cable - both conductors are in the center of the cable and there is a separate ground around both conductors..... the advantage is that in very long runs a balanced cable will reject interference much better than an unbalanced cable....

if you have a choice - use the balanced connectors (XLR)

1.gif

Thanks Russ

You say "if you have a choice - use the balanced connectors (XLR)"

Are you saying that in a general sense:

Given the choice between XLR to XLR and RCA to RCA choose the balanced connectors or are you saying that in my particular set up use the balanced output from my Pre/Pro to my amps even though I would need custom cables built to go XLR on the Pre/Pro side to RCA on the Amps?

As far as I am concerned it would be a no brainier to go XLR to XLR if I in fact had that option, because what the heck I already have a fair amount of money in the darn system, what is a few more cables. But since I don't have the luxury of XRL on the amps, I am wondering if I lose the benefit of "Balanced Outputs" with the RCA termination end of the cable. In which case I am just wasting my money on a stronger connection. Not trying to split hairs here just wanting to get a full understanding.

----------------

On 2/4/2005 9:33:45 AM rplace wrote:

Thanks Russ

You say "if you have a choice - use the balanced connectors (XLR)"

Are you saying that in a general sense:

Given the choice between XLR to XLR and RCA to RCA choose the balanced connectors or are you saying that in my particular set up use the balanced output from my Pre/Pro to my amps even though I would need custom cables built to go XLR on the Pre/Pro side to RCA on the Amps?

As far as I am concerned it would be a no brainier to go XLR to XLR if I in fact had that option, because what the heck I already have a fair amount of money in the darn system, what is a few more cables. But since I don't have the luxury of XRL on the amps, I am wondering if I lose the benefit of "Balanced Outputs" with the RCA termination end of the cable. In which case I am just wasting my money on a stronger connection. Not trying to split hairs here just wanting to get a full understanding.

----------------

don't use the adapter cables if you don't have to... go RCA to RCA....

there are always issues about whether pins 1 and 3 are tied together or not and the hum that can be caused if you don't have it right...

use some well made RCA cables and you're set!

1.gif

I agree that RCA to RCA would likely be better. It's nice that your pre/pro has balanced outputs, and you could sell your amps and purchase some pro amps such as the Crown XLS series with balanced inputs. My problem is that I have a Denon 3805 with RCA pre-outs and a Crown XLS 402 with XLR inputs--RCA male to XLR male interconnects and now I have a hum in my system which I have pretty much narrowed down to being my interconnects. You would likely be better off to either go RCA to RCA or XLR to XLR.