Alison Krauss concert comments

Tom Adams

Obviously, because Im an Alison Krauss and Union Station fan, my comments will be biased, so please bear that in mind. Ok, enough of the disclaimer....

In general Alison and her band delivered in a big way last night. I had a slight worry that having watched her live DVD, that possibly I might be a bit disappointed (one never knows how much editing is done to a concert). But not only was I not disappointed, I was treated to a great performance.

After about the first four songs, my wife leaned over and said something to me that had already been going through my mind. She said, Tom, have you noticed that her voice and the music sound almost identical to when we listen to her through the Cornwalls? I responded, Yup it just goes to show you just how great those speakers are at reproducing a live experience. Thank you Paul W. Klipsch!

The concert kicked off at 7:30 and it was almost 10:00 when they left the stage. Alison and her band paced themselves, but not to the point that there were huge gaps between numbers. I dont know what the song count was, but it had to be greater than 20. Her voice was very much on and several times I wondered why she even needs a mic with the power she has. Great control and contrast and it really shines when singing a cappella.

Jerry Douglas and the Dobro....what can I say? I cant play guitar, but I do have an appreciation for the sound of the instrument and what he can do with it. Im sure a Dobro player would have a better insight as to his technique. All I know is that I wasnt a fan of the sound of that instrument until I heard him play.

And her band Union Station.tight as ever. Dan Tyminski has a great bluegrass voice and pairs well with the tonal quality of Alison. And lets face it; he made George Clooney sound good in the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou? Ron Blocks banjo picking and guitar playing was solid. And the bass playing and bass vocals supplied by Barry Bales filled out a very talented group of folks. The synergy between these folks was totally evident. They were loose, relaxed, and having fun without loosing composure.

The concert ended with an encore featuring Alison and Jerry singing a duet a cappella of My Ain True Love from the movie Cold Mountain. Simply outstanding. After the song they were joined by the rest of the band and three more numbers were performed in a more acoustic manner (i.e. two acoustic guitars, stand up bass, a mic for Alison and one for the rest of the band). Harmonies were almost breath-taking. Just an awesome way to end a set.

As many of you concert goers have probably experienced at one time or another, I will confess to being moved to tears a couple of times last night. Im not embarrassed to say that her voice and certain songs elicited a joyful tear. But oddly enough, at one point I found myself shedding a (several?) tear as the music and the setting commanded my brain to be cognizant of just what I have in this life. My beautiful wife who adores me for some reason Ive yet to figure out. My health, regardless of what Ive been through recently. A step daughter that thinks I can fix anything. Having a lifestyle, the opportunity, and the financial resources to attend an event like this. And living in a country where all this is possible. On the other hand, a few tears were shed for those folks who will never have the opportunities to live like I, or we, do. Or the brave soldiers all over the world thatll be spending the night alone. So, as I sat there with my wife holding my hand and with everything seemingly in perfect order in my life, I said to myself as sincere and as humble as possible, Thank you God.

Tom

Great review, Tom! Alison and her band will be in town here in March, but the venue's website isn't showing available tix8.gif . I have a good friend that works there. Maybe I can work somethin' out...