So who buys vinyl of of EBAY?

mandi

I have found that if you are patient you will hit a deal that no one else has found. It is unbelievable how many records are being sold on ebay. With that number you would think there would still be stores around but who could compete.

We actually have a record store in town and I have been in twice and bought a record both times since I went in to look. I did tell the owner that I would prefer the below one dollar cost that I am getting on ebay compared to the 3.99 plus tax in his store. But I guess if and when I only really want one record he will serve a purpose but I am afraid he will no longer be here.

Who bothers to sell an LP for a buck on eBay? The postage alone is usually $4-6. I have bought and sold plenty of LPs through eBay. Mostly good experiences. If you have found a deal that you think nobody noticed, it probably is something only you want. Believe me, they notice (even if mis-listed) and that is why, for the most part, eBay is a seller's market.

C&S

i have bought near 1500 albums on ebay within the last 6 months, overall good experiences, i had one person sell me total CRAP 150 albums of which i think i kept 3 or 4 i emailed the guy and complained his retort was i didnt grade the covers i graded the albums, i still got a partial refund from him to compinsate for the junk, i hit a couple great scores though bought a radio station back up set of albums 675 albums for 515.00, all the vinyl was exceptional a few of the covers were rough i have also found if you hold out a little you will come across a deal Joe

I have not bought a "single" lp off ebay because the shipping would eat you up. I told myself I would pay no more than a buck fifty per record to include shipping. I so not see how folks find the time to see all the ebay listings, there are 10 pages finishing in the next hour. I guess you have to really define your search

Tons of thrift store bulk (some great finds along the way), lots of classical,lots of good jazz, lots and lots of latin/latin jazz, plus lots of weird stuff. Over the years I inherited many boxes of people's rock when they moved, which I really never listen too but might sell on eBay someday. Although not avidly collected, those 78s managed to build up as well. This collection was built over 30+ years, always with the goal of finding out about the music, the music history, not necessarily to collect costly rareties (sometimes these coincide however). I have been a completist for certain jazz artists: Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Theolonious Monk, Dexter Gordon, plus many other jazz innovators, and likewise with many many latin music artists (this is the most challenging category to collect IMO). I have, as a result, contributed significant discographical information on many online sources.

It is actually quite fun to have more LPs than you remember having, kind of like having your own record store in the house. Best part is when you are tempted by some escalating eBay gem, only to then discover you already have a nice NM copy in the stacks, purchased 20 years ago for $3.50 or whatever. A good reason to then play it and enjoy once again....a memory jog.

C&S

I also buy quite a few LPs from ebay. Almost always something specific and almost always jazz or MFSLs. Mostly good experiences. There will always be a few duds but I've always been able to get a refund. Twice in the past year, they refunded my money and told me to keep the LP for my troubles. Just check the return policy and the seller's feedback.

If I want rock or classical, I can usually find them at thrift shops for 50 cents or $1. I also have boxes I still need to sort. It's a never-ending process when you have a couple thousand or more and keep buying before you've finished sorting and cleaning the last score.

If you collect a serious amount of vinyl, a good cleaner is critical. I've found some pretty bad looking LPs that cleaned up like new. The before and after can be absolutely amazing.

I avidly support my local vinyl suppliers as much as possible. I only buy items I really cant find locally on ebay - for that I find it excellent. Bargains are not all that common - and as someone else said it usually means you are the only one that wants the item.

As an example I have been hunting locally for Elgar's Cello Concerto with Barenboum and Du Pre for months. Eventually I gave up and picked it up on line with my ususal system - I just outbid every other SOB out there. In the end with shipping I reckon I paid about 20 pounds ($30 something) but I dont care - I just had to own it.

The only real bargain I have found was Harry Belafonte Live at the Carnegie which was a single album release in the UK (as opposed to the more common double album). The sonics on this one are way better and it cost me the princely sum of 1 pound (and 4 to ship it). Another owner of the double album offered me 50 for it so I guess it was a bargain even though I turned him down.