Woofer (I think) problems.

neetrs

Please help, I have a pair of Quartet speakers & I just love them & I bought them new, but I seem to have incured some damage to the woofer (bottom of the speaker in the back). I have been noticing a sort of vibration when the volume is up & music with quite a bit of base is playing & I have finally determined that the middle part of the woofer in the back was somehow pushed in a little bit & there is a noticeable affect to the sound in that speaker when the volume is up. I checked the other speaker & it's nice & round. Can this be fixed or is this something that can be replaced from Klipsch even though this speaker isn't manufactured anymore?

A little dimple in the clown nose dust cap should not make a difference. OTOH, there well could be a physical problem.

I have Quartets and Forte II and love them.

I'd say to put the Quartets up on a table and take a good look.

Also check for an air leak. With spread fingers, push in gently on the front woofer and move it about 1/8 inch. The rear "drone" or "passive radiator" should move out by about the same distance, maybe a little less because of the differences in diameter. If it does this, there is no air leak.

If there is an air leak, the back drone will not move.

This will also check for a partially blown front woofer in the form of binding at the voice coil. Travel should be smooth. If you feel a gritty binding, it is a woofer problem.

Gil