KSF-S5 surrounds with Legends?

SteveLee

(I tried posting this twice last evening, but ran into problems with the web site. Please forgive me if this is redundant ....)

I'm in the "thinking stages" of upgrading my HT system from Klipsch Synergy speakers (KSB-3.1 mains, KSC-C1 front/rear centers, KSF-S5 surrounds, and KSW-12 sub) to Legends (KLF-10 or 20's for fronts, KLF-C7 for front/rear centers). My receiver is a Sherwood Newcastle R-956 (120 w/ch for 6.1 surround). I downloaded the Legends' manual from the Klipsch website, and noticed the KSF-S5 is the recommended rear surround for the KLF-10, but the KSP-S6 is recommended with the KLF-20 and 30. Given how rare (and pricey) the S6's have become, I'm wondering how well my S5's would blend in with the 20's and C7's ...

I doubt I'm going to find anywhere I can demo these different setups, so thought I'd ask guidance from the considerable wisdom and experience of folks on this BB. Has anyone used KSF-S5's as surrounds with KLF-20's as mains and KLF-C7's as centers? Would it be better to stick with KLF-10's for the mains? Should I just leave well enough alone, and join a 12-step program for HT addicts?!

Thanks for your advice & comments!

This message has been edited by SteveLee on 08-17-2001 at 01:15 PM

SteveLee,

I have the KLF20's. I started with the KSF10.5's with the matching center and surrounds. After about 2 month's I traded the KSF10.5's back in for the KLF20's and kept the existing center and surrounds.

The center and surrounds were ok, but something seemed to be missing.

After about 6 months I upgraded the center to the KLF C7. Much better. The front just seemed so seamless. The rears still didn't seem right.

I have a Denon AVR2700. Using a SPL meter I could set the front and center to a +4, but the surrounds I had to run to +11.

If I were you I would get the KLF20's/KLFC7 and a pair of KLF 10's or 20's for the rear if you have the space.

Wednesday I ordered 2 KLFC7's from One Call. I am going to mount them vertically and use them for my surrounds.I can't tell you how this is going to sound for awhile. All my Klipsch equipment is in storage right now until I buy another house.

I hope this helps.

Danny

Thanks for the reply, Danny. My family room has several doors inconveniently located along the side & rear walls, so I can't use floor standing speakers for surrounds. I've got the S5's and the rear center hung from the ceiling. So, I'll have to stick with something like the S5's, S6, RS-3, ...

Right now, I'm looking into a deal on a pair of KLF-10's and C7's. So, I may have to do this in a phased approach (see what it all sounds like with the S5's before I negotiate with my spousal unit to sink even more $$ into the HT!).

I'd still be glad to hear more comments on this potential setup before I jump into it!

Thanks!

Steve

Steve, I'm using the s5's with KSP-400"s and a KSP c-6, and they sound fine together, although I would like someday to upgrade (trade, etc) to the s6's (the EXACT match for the rest of my system). I asked BobG about the match, and he said it would be o.k., just that the s5's aren't as loud (i.e. efficient) as the s6's (that's why Danny had to crank 'em).

Regards, fini

This message has been edited by fini on 08-21-2001 at 08:02 AM

Danny, I was thinking about doing the same surround thing in my set-up, using some KSP-c6's as "B" surrounds for 5ch stereo, since they are the same speaker as the 400's, minus the sub. Mounting yours vertically, you might consider turning the horns 90 degrees so the sound dispersion fits the room better. Anyone have thoughts on this? (Sorry, Steve. Should have made a new Topic on this one...) Regards, fini

This message has been edited by fini on 08-21-2001 at 08:16 AM

Fini,

I will try rotating the horn's after I get everything setup. That sounds like a good idea. I am not sure of placement yet. I don't know if I am going to mount the speakers on the rear wall or the sides.

I am in the mood now to re-wire all my Legend speakers, so I might as well play around with the horn.

Thanks for the idea.

Danny

• 1 year later...

i am interested in acquiring your s5's if you don't want them or want to up grad. i have 2 sets of ksb 1.1's. i don't know if they fit your system but the s5's fit mine. (10.5, c5 front, c5 rear, and ksw 12) i opted for the "lower" system because of money and i don't need anything that loud. please get back with me asap. please let me know how much.

Steve,

I am using KSF-S5 as my surrounds with K-horms as mains, RSC-3II center, and they sound fine. I have balanced the levels with an RS Sound Level Meter on the Yami RX-V1.

I would like to upgrade my center and surrounds to RS-7s but right now they wouldn't pass the WAF.

By the way that RS meter cost me $39.95 in 1975!

Rick

Rick