New RF-7s inhouse

codmaster

Hello all.

I finally got time to drag my new RF-7's from the basement where the poor things have been waiting in their boxes for a week or so. After unpacking I do have a few questions.

The plastic feets: By searching the forums I know this have been discussed over and over again but I could not find the answer I was looking for. I want to remove the feets and replace them with a set of SoundCare spikes. But what size do I need to fit the holes under the speaker? 1/4 inch seems to be the size that fits if I wanted to attach the spikes to the plastic feets. And is there anything else I should be aware of when removing the feets? Feedback appreciated :)

The dealer told me that the RF-7's should be burned in/played for a least 100-150 hours before I can expect the "correct" sound image. No biggie, but I would like to hear from other RF-7 owners on this issue.

The speakers looks rather nice in my living room and the only thing so far I'm not happy with is that 2 out of 8 speaker terminals were loose, not sure if I can fix this myself and I was hoping that I dont need to take them back to the dealer for this. Somewhat annoying methinks.

cheers :)

Have you tried to remove a foot mounting screw and see if the spike will screw in?This would at least tell you if its the same size,I think its close but have'nt seen the bottom of mine for a few years.There should be no problem removing the foot but why?I'm just curious as I really like the feet/spikes.I don't know about the hours to burn in,as soon as I hooked mine up and found proper placement mine sounded way better than the last $2k speakers I had.I would agree they need time to break in but I say its many less hrs.If you're pretty handy with a screwdriver you could remove the speaker terminal plate and tighten.

Thanks for the replys ppl.

I have now removed the feet and 1/4 inch is indeed what fits directly into the speakers.

Fish: Nothing wrong with the feets, but I think the RF-7's looks more slim and elegant without them :)

Guess I can't win the "Mr Handyman 2005" award, but I'll probably manage to fix the speaker terminals after taking a closer look at them.

The feet are for safety and are used to reduce the possibility that a speaker is tipped over.

The terminal cup comes out with a Torx driver of the correct size. The crossover is attached to the back of the terminal cup. There is a bit of slack in the wires that go from the crossover to the drivers. If you are good with tools, it is an easy fix.

Bill

----------------

On 2/10/2005 5:55:03 PM codmaster wrote:

The dealer told me that the RF-7's should be burned in/played for a least 100-150 hours before I can expect the correct; sound image. No biggie, but I would like to hear from other RF-7 owners on this issue.

cheers
:)

----------------

I have about 70 hours of listen on my RF-7's now and I think they sound better with each passing hour. One thing to look at though is the foam inside the bottom of the speaker. Look into the port hole at the back of the speaker and check to see if the holes are blocked by the foam. If it is blocked, follow the this procedure:

The foam should make a "L" in the bottom of the cabinet. It should be "tucked" between the port and the bottom of the cabinet. Then turn the corner and go up the front of the cabinet, stoping just short of the lower woofer.

If it is covering the port, just stick you hand in the port and push it back in place. As long as it is not covering the port it is ok just about anywhere in the cabinet.

If you want to glue it you can, it is ok.