Starting my first system

660 OUTLAWED

I am about to purchase my first system, and have a lot of questions. First I would like it to sound better than most of the preassembled systems that sell at best buy and places like that.

I was considering the RB-25 5.1 system with the RW-12 for the sub, and using a Denon 2805 or 3805. My first Question is will there be a big difference between the 2 reciever? I plan on just a receiver without any seperates for a while. I would also like to use the receiver for 4 other speakers in the house, never playing them all at the same time. How can I acomplish this?

Back to the speakers, if I buy a few at a time, would it be best to buy the RB's or RC first? And when exactly do you buy the subwoofer?

Thanks for the help.

If you buy 2 of the RB's first then at least you can listen to music. Some of the receivers let you use a "phantom" center where the 2 front speakers carry the load. I don't know if the receivers in question have this feature. As far as when to buy the sub goes, I would get my 5 other speakers first so at least you have surround sound and get the sub when you can afford it.

If you are going to be buying these piece by piece, why not upgrade a each piece. For a little more you could get two RF-35's to start. Those will rock much harder for music than the RB-25's. I was able to listen to them side by side and there is no comparision. The RF-35's will be a little deeper too so you can hold out longer for the sub. I agree about putting the 5.1 system together first, then adding a sub. It will sound ok without the sub (being Klipsch speakers and all), but once you get the sub, turn the speakers to "small" on the receiver and let the sub do the rest. You will not be dissapointed.

If you can afford it, definitely holdout for the rf-35s. I've done an A/B comparison and I don't think there is any comparison. Otherwise I agree with the others who said to get your full system first, then get the sub. I've read that the 3805 has much better processing than the 2805. But for that price you could probably get an NAD t753 online, or a Marantz reciever, both of which would probably go better with Klipsch speakers than the Denon, although it's a good reciever also.

Welcome to the club. I was standing in your shoes just two months ago, so I know what it feels like. I hope that whatever you get, you are thrilled with your purchase. Good luck!

Scott

If your system will solely be for home theater, then the 2 most important aspects are the center channel and sub. However, depending on your budget you will need to build your system in pieces. Therefore, to start buy a good pair of front speakers, the RF-35's are a very good choice. Next get the matching rear speakers and after that look for a good center channel either the RC-35 or RC-7. Lastly, once you have the budget buy a good sub. Dont rush out and purchase the whole system on a limited budget, instead invest in better speakers and build the system slowly. You will be happier in the end.

Well put Dave. Good of you to read up on these other threads. Glad you haven't left us. Keep learning...

I like CECA's advice. Also get the RF vs RB if you have floor space and $$. The double woofers will be better for both music and HT. If you're mostly a music listener, note that some receivers DO NOT output sub in 2ch mode, on my Yamahas you can use the 7ch stereo or any 'surround' mode and will get sub, but pure 2ch does not utilize it. So the double woofers of RF would be good. The 12 would be a good choice to go with 25 series, not too big, not too small. I just have a ksw12 with my Cornwalls and it's getting overwelmed a bit.

You could also look at the RB's as 'starter' speakers, use them a while, then graduate them to surrounds when funds allow for BIG MOMMAS of the same vintage up front. Get the biggest, baddest center speaker you can afford, it's critical for HT use and you only need one. I'm not a big fan of the RS series. Keep the sound directional, as HornEd used to always say.

Niles makes a nifty little 4-pair speaker box that keeps the amp impedence correct so you don't blow up (very important) and also has one thats component sized with volume knobs for each zone. DO NOT daisy chain a bunch of pairs into the B outlet, you'll burn your amp.

Dont know about Denon, but my Yamaha RXV2400 has a second zone (like a rec out), and if you're not using channels 6 and 7 for surround sides, you can switch those two amp channels to the second zone and have a POWERED second set of speakers in another zone. Yes that's right, listen to TWO sources with ONE RECEIVER. I use it all the time, have the TV on with 5.1 Cornwall speakers pumping away and the CD player going remotely with muzak in other areas of the house. It's way cool. This may be one of the features between 2805 and 3805. I believe the differences are pretty subtle.

Ask more questions before the purchase. Tell us please, your HT/music %, musical tastes, size of the room, eventual upgrade plans, so we can put you on the right path.

Good listening,

Michael

reread your post. timing the speaker purchase. I think this plan would work equally well for HT or mainly stereo use. Sounds like you're maybe about 50/50 or so, yes?

2 RB's gets you going with stereo (use phantom center on receiver)

add 2 more of same or bigger (RF of same type) for surround and add center now

get sub as $$ allow.

Hope this all makes sense. Just don't buy anything too small (hats off to my friend Dave), even if you start small, make sure everything will fit into the MASTER PLAN!

Michael

I realy don't have the floor space for the RF-35, but I was considering going with the RB-35 system. The lisening will be more like 80 HT 20 music, I don't have to have the music very loud I just want it clear at a nice volume. Music will be from country (wife) to modern rock. I was thinking of starting with the RC-35 and RB-35 then going to the surrounds and sub. What is the diff between the RB-35 and RS-35 as surronds, my problem is that the surronds will only be about a foot behind me. Thanks for the help, and keep them coming, I will be back on on Monday and have more time to talk about it. The reason I want to go with Denon is that it is the only good brand that the dealer has. They are the only dealer that handles Klipsch.

For country, unless it's that newfangled electric-rock-country, you'll be fine with RB's instead of RF's. With the 35's you don't have to worry about placement so much as the ports are on the front, 3's and 5's port is on back, so must use stands, not bookshelf.

Unless you really rock out or play movies LOUD, you may get by without a sub for quite a while. Depends on what you watch, but if it's 20% and they're not so much bang-bang shootemup movies, you may not miss the sub. But definietly get a good center speaker.

Do you have a way to draw your room and post drawing or photo. Otherwise just describe it and we'll try to help with speaker placement. Would it be possible to put surrounds on side walls, pull the sofa away from wall a bit more? Lots of this depends on the little lady, if there's one around.

Michael