How many subs (thread 2)...

Saucey

Here's my question with multiple subs:

Ken Kreissel, The K of M&K loudspeakers recommends twin subs just left and right of your center channel. While Tom Vodhanel, the V of SVS recommends twin subs located next to each other in one corner of the room (can someone clarify waves canceling each other out?).

Now I dont want to pit these two against each other, and I realize there are many opinions and theories regarding subwoofer placement. But what do you all think? I've never played with more than 1 sub, any knowledge from experience with placement would be greatly appreciated.

At this point, I'm personally debating on getting 1 SVS Ultra or 2. My reluctance from buying 2 is because of space concerns. It would be MUCH easier for me to fit 2 in opposing corners rather that both in 1 and I wouldnt want to compromise efficiency or unnecessarily buy more with that kind of investment.

Also, is one CS-Ultra as good as twin 20-39 CS's?

Eagerly awaiting the Brian Weatherhead sub review, hope the Klipch RSW is included in the shootout.

-s

I am far happier with my 500 watt LF-10, (which has a bump in its freq. response near 40Hz) with my big old horns than I am with my KSW200 (which has 200 watts and a bump in output near 60Hz). The more powerful sub does the better job - it goes deeper and plays more solid, with 700 watts RMS (not counting peak power).

I am happy with the sub-woofers that I have. I use a SPL meter and a Test Cd to dial them close to flat response from 250 Hz, down to 25Hz

You can get lower bass response by placing the sub(s) in the corner, but you get better imaging by placing them near stereo center it all depends on the output of the sub. If you are getting plenty of the lowest bass notes (<40 Hz) from the sub, I would think that you can be flexible with their placement. That means you can put them in the corner to get better bass, if you want, or place them near the center, to get better image. The improved imaging comes from the middle and upper bass areas (about 60 to 200 Hz, I would guess off the top of my head).

If you are not getting bass extension down to 30 Hz with the sub at normal listening levels, I suggest that you go for image placement and put the subs near the center. All subs have a frequency at which they peak they put out the most sound at that frequency. That peak will determine where you can place your sub. Either test the sub you selected ( you need a SPL meter if you want to be a tweaking audiophile), you look at its frequency response curve.

If it is low (30 Hz), you have a model that can go deep ( I think that SVS subs are in that category). If it is high (60Hz) you have a mid or high range sub, that is great for helping out the middle to upper bass regions, particularly with bookshelf and home theater speakers.

The mid-range sub in my opinion needs to be placed near the center of the soundstage to help batten down the image. It can really help form a textural, almost three D, feel to most bass guitar notes. It greatly adds to the sonic illusion of a band playing in center stage.

When it comes to speakers, and subs are specialized chair vibration and toe tickling devices, you get more bang for your audio buck. Therefore the rule of thumb is, buy the biggest and the best that you can afford. Certainly start with one of the biggest and best subs, then add another if you really feel the need.

I know that there are better subs than the Klipsch combo that I have (KSW200 and LF10). Between the two I would certainly go with the deeper and more powerful unit for when there is a small difference in price.

But together, when they throb and pulse, the ground tremors beneath your feet and you better rush back to the Millennium Falcon and get away quick before the monster swallows

------------------

big old Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour tube amps, Dynaco series II tube pre-amp, Rotel CD player, KSW200 & LF10 subs

the sub should be just that, a SUBwoofer, meaning it only produces the lowest notes, which are non directional anyways.

but in a less than perfect world, subs often have to go higher due to insufficiently bassy mains speakers. plus, depending on the crossover freqency/slope, there might still be a high enough amount of material above the crossover point to warrant strategic positioning of the subs.

the ideal of course would be a "small" world with all speakers only delivering material above 80hz, and maybe even lower than that for the mains, so as to have minimal directionality. then you could just stack the subs up with no real disadvantage.

Two subs in the same corner won't play any lower but they will play 5 or 6 db louder than one.

I think HornEd previously had his subs in different corners but now has his two SVS Ultras in the same corner so he will probably be here to post about his findings as well. I have two of the SVS 20-39cs subs in the rear corner together by the key seating and they sound better there than one in each corner.

------------------

Mains: RF-3s

Center: RC-3

Rears: RS-3s

Sub: Dual SVS 20-39cs

Receiver: Onkyo 696

DVD: Toshiba 6200

TV: Mits Diamond WS65907

• 4 weeks later...

Both can work well,I prefer the subs on ONE corner solution.In my case its the space restrictions and the result is better.

I have 6 subs in ONE room!Now not only 2 but 6!And they can work as one SUPERSUB.

If you wonder if one SVS Ultra will do you have to order two and try,one and then two.If you feel like the second one helps the bass and sound more efortless then go for two.

I placed my subs along the wall,even the Sunfire subs are along the wall.Not in a corner.I prefer even response to a corner loaded over boost.

I think ONE Ultra is all most will need,unless paired with horn loaded speakers and in a larger room.

I could be happy with just the Aerial but I like TO HAVE THE EXTRA POWER from a multi sub setup.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I don't think this setup was mentioned yet, I appologize if it was, I have a sub next to my tv connected to the LFE (Rel Storm II) and another smaller sub (KSW-10)connected passively to my rear surrounds behind my couch. The ksw10 great support for the surrounds and the Rel Storm II connected to the LFE really rumbles.

I am also running a KSW-15 up front between KLF-C7 Center and KLF-30 AND a KSW-100 for the rear KSP-S6's. The combination is awesome and the sub helps bring the bass on the rear surrounds.

I am a believer in a 2nd sub for your surround/rear channels.

To each his own....

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box