Quartets as centers

merkin

I have been lurking around here for a couple of weeks and this is my first post. I'm looking at some quartets to go with my forte II for HT. Then if I'm lucky enough some day I can up grade the quart's to more forte II's or some Chorus II's and convert one of the quartets to a center. Kind of a poor man's academy. (heaven forbid I find a good priced academy some day.)

If you lay the quartet's on their side do they need to be at ear level or won't I notice. Also using them as rears if I hung them horizontal close to the ceiling would I loose the dispersion on the horns or tweeters. I know that they need 12 inches behind for the radiators. I am also aware of the sheilding problem.

Thanks for any and all replies. The information on these forums has been great.

(Dreaming of some good priced OO forte II's Or Chorus II's)

A Quartet makes an excellent center with Forte IIs. It doesnt have to be ear level and I set mine up about one foot off the floor and under the screen. You can tilt it up a little. Im sure it would work if placed over the screen as well.

Heres a question. Could two Quartets be used with one on either side of the screen? Is there a way to wire them up like that? You would have a shielding problem but I think you could overcome that.

For the price, you won't do any better than an HT system with Fortes, Quartets, and/or Choruses. If you have a rear projection TV, a Quartet can sit on top (if the TV cabinet can support it) and it won't affect the image (RPTV guts are down low in the cabinet). If it is a regular CRT TV, then in order to rest the speaker on top you would have to shield it with bucking magnets; instructions on getting and installing them are elsewhere on the forum. Otherwise, placing it below the TV or above it on a shelf are the obvious solutions. I took the base/riser off a Quartet (very easy) and it makes a reasonably-sized center, with the exact same midrange and tweeter (the most critical matches) as my Forte II fronts. However, it was a pain getting the Klipsch name badge off the cloth screen so I could reposition it at top center. I am still not using the other Quartet, but plan someday to add it as a rear center for DD 6.1 sources.

Boomac, I am certainly no expert, but I recall a thread last year in which someone said two centers on either side can interfere with each other's sound waves and degrade the imaging. On a related note, I had an older Yamaha ProLogic receiver with two center outputs, but I think that's rare these days.

On 2/16/2005 12:40:13 PM RichardP wrote:

Boomac, I am certainly no expert, but I recall a thread last year in which someone said two centers on either side can interfere with each other's sound waves and degrade the imaging.

----------------

That makes sense to me. I figure to use the second Quartet as a rear center as well. We even have the space roughed out for it.