THX Ultra 2s vs what I have now

Amdek

I have the Atlantic Tech system 350 ( http://www.atlantictechnology.com/manuals/atlantic_System_350%20manual_1.pdf )and was thinking about getting the ultra2s. I know going from a soft dome to a horn would be a big step, not sure which direction that step is 3.gif, but it would be a big step for us. I am sure the crowd around here would say its a step in the right direction, or why would you be hanging out here hehehe. If there is anyone that went from soft domes (even more so if you had Atlantic Techs) to the Ultra2s or other Klipsch speakers, what was your general opinion of the move? Do you miss anything at all, and I do mean anything? Or no regrets? BTW we watch movies on our theater system 70% of the time; rest is HDTV and music.

Welcome to the forum!!!!

There are very few Ultra2 owners due to the Ultra2s being so new. In any case, you are the only person that can answer the question about horns. Some folks love them and some hate them. Both are correct, so you need to listen for yourself.

The big deal on the Ultra2 speaker set is that they are much more for movies than music. I use my system for both, so I am going to keep my RF-7s for now. The Ultra2s have a good reputation so far for movies, but the data base is small.

Klipsch speakers tend to reveal any weakness in the electronics driving them. Also, they tend to let you know if the source material has been ideally recorded or not.

Bill

I will ASSUME that because the Atlantic's are designed as serious, THX speakers, the sound will be fairly 'bright' just because they are very ACCURATE, just like the Klipsch.

M&K is also considered to be very 'bright' - but that is seen as accurate and 'alive'.

I bet you would enjoy them 2.gif

Ok, I think my Atlantics are going to up forsale (where should I try selling them, ebay?), prolly only make a dent in the purchase price of the Ultra2s. But hay you only live once, the one that dies with the most toys wins, etc.

Oh btw, I think I will go with the KL-525s for my mains, might have to wait on buying the KS-525 for the side surrounds for awhile. And for my rear surrounds, well going to have to stay with what I got, because another pair of KL-525s would look way out of place, since my third row of seating is flat against the wall. One last thing, I have Crown XLS-402 amps, a B&K ref50, SVS-PC ultra, if anyone doesn't think those match well with the Klipsch Ultra2s speak up now or forever hold your breath 9.gif. And its a 20' x 12' x7.8' room.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:31:00 AM Amdek wrote:

Ok, I think my Atlantics are going to up forsale, prolly only make a dent in the purchase price of the Ultra2s. But hay you only live once, the one that dies with the most toys wins, etc.
----------------

That attitude is certainly a good one to have!

This forum is a GREAT resource for the many questions you will have. We love to help each other out (look at my freaking post count!)

If you do order, let us know, as not a lot of people have the system and we all want feedback!

The Crowns can certainly belt out the SPLs with clarity and definition. I was looking at the Outlaw monoblocks, but for little more then half price or there abouts the crowns are a much better buy IMO. Of course I never heard the Outlaws so I have no idea which sounds better. Except the fan noise there isn't anything in my opinion that should keep anyone from buying them. I put in some panaflos fans and they quited down some not as far as I hoped, but there are people on AVS that put in resistor mod's that report almost absolute quiet results.

BTW, one other question. Is there really that much difference bewteen the KL-525 mains and KL-650 mains? I know the 650s go ever so slightly lower and is ported, but the plan is to use an 80hz corssover point. With KL-525s as the mains, I think I might get a better blend with my sub (will pick up the KS-525s for surround use when our money situation is better). Anyone here, hear the 525 and 650 in the same room with the same components? I know I doubt it...

I have a crown XLS 402 and I must say that it sounds very good...apart from the fan noise that is. 2.gif The easy way around it though is to just put the amp in another room (or in my case, it will eventually be going into the basement below my room). I just got a new pair of Chorus II's so I might have to plug them in and see how them horns sound with the crown.

What is the price difference between the two mains? I personally would go with the bigger one because it's more efficient (97dB sensitivity versus 94dB) and because it plays lower, you will have more headroom with your crossover. At 80Hz, the 525 is already -3dB which means your sub would need to be +3dB at 80Hz...boosting the overall sub volume to achieve this puts the rest of the information below 80Hz, 3dB too loud. Basically you'll be caught between trying to make a smooth transition and trying to make it not bass heavy. Nevertheless, we're only talking 3dB here and in most cases, people like to boost the sub a good 10 to 20dB too loud anyway so it probably won't be an issue. It's just something to think about considering klipsch is going to post the best possible specs for their speaker...it's possible that without good speaker positioning, the 525 could be even -6dB at 80Hz (which is something that could become problematic).

I have never heard either speaker so my assertions are merely interpretations of the specs...i can't see klipsch building the 525 if they didn't feel it'd perform at least decently well with the rest of the ultra2 system.

----------------

On 2/21/2005 12:36:39 PM DrWho wrote:

I have a crown XLS 402 and I must say that it sounds very good...apart from the fan noise that is.
2.gif
The easy way around it though is to just put the amp in another room (or in my case, it will eventually be going into the basement below my room).....

----------------

there is a HUGE thread over on AVS forum discussing using pro amps in home theater applications....

another way to address the fan issue is to place a resistor in the fan power line to slow the fan down or buy a quiter fan.... pabst as well as other companies make quiet fans...

if you are pushing klispch speakers with these amps it is also possible to disconnect the fan altogether.... in the above mentioned thread more than a few people have done that without any problems...

i run a carver professional ZR1000 digital amp that does come with a fan... after talking to carver tech support, they said in a home application there should be no problems with having the fan disconnected..... i've had the fan disconnected since i got the amp in october of 2003 and it works great!!! not hot at all on the top of the amp....

1.gif

I think I might try contacting crown and see what they think. The air being blown out is very cool (kinda like having a mini personal fan). If you think about it, they're built to run at 90% constantly outdoors in 90 degree heat...I would think they should be fine running at 1% (there's no way those fans are pulling 89% of the heat off).

do you have a link for the avs forum?

Hay just thought I would check in, I am getting the first of three KL-525s tomorrow, should have the other two in a few weeks. Can't wait to get rocking. They are most likely overkill for my size of room and for the dB level I normally listen to, but hay had to move up the ladder. Atleast I think its a move up the ladder.

Ok I only have one KL-525 at the moment. But from what I hear it certainly sounds different from my Atlantics, but good different I think. Going from soft domes to horn loading is a bit to be taken in when first heard in your own room. I really need to get the other two 525s to really find out what a "system" of these sound like. I have a Rane THX 44 EQ, and just EQing by ear I was able to sweeten them up some. Took down some of the highs (4khz or so), and slightly boosted the 80-200hz. That warmed up its sound, which I guess I like a little better then what they sounded out of the box. My brother inlaw has access to a $2000 test microphone, a lap top with acoustic analysis software, and a outboard mic pre-amp. So hopefully he can make a trip up here soon. We EQ'd my Atlantics and they didn't need much, the center needing the most change out of the front three speakers. And the side surrounds needing the most over all, but dipoles are like that.

Can't wait for the other two KL-525s and then after that some KS-525s for my sides, and not sure what I am going to do for the back speakers. As I have a row of seats flat against the back wall so a pair of KL-525s would look out of place. Any inwalls from Klipsch that would remotely sound simular to the KL-525? I just have some crapy KLH small bookselfs there ATM.

If everything goes as planned, the other 2 KL-525s will be here on Monday or Tuesday. I will have a picture or two to share at that time. And I think a pair of KS-525s would make a good birthday present from my wife, gonna have to wait till May if thats the case, as I said before how will I ever live that long without side surrounds.

http://www.datarax.com/BEG-ASP-productid.267-END-product.htm

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RAXSS36

I am down to those two stands, not sure on the zzounds one as the descirption does not match the picture. I would almost prefer the "grey fleck" to black, as it would match the walls and trim....then the speakers are balck so the all black one would match the speakers....3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif