Reference or Synergy?

Smokem

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my experience, take it for what it's worth to you: I was running a Quintet II surround system with ksw-10 sub. It sounded much better than the POS HT in a box I'd been running previously. I went to BB and demoed the Synergy series, F-3, etc. Not suprisingly, they sounded much better than the smaller Quintet's I owned. I almost bought them on the spot, but I wanted to wait till my next paycheck came in. When I came back, I went to Soundtrack, and I listend to an rb-35 stereo system with sub, an rf-25 system, and sn rf-35 system. They were in different listening conditions (e.g. one 25 was on the floor, while another rf-25 system was int he sound room with the rf-35s). I did not get to a/b them with Synergies, because Soundtrack doesn't carry them, but they all (even the rb-35s) sounded much better to me than the Synergy series had. It wasn't that the Synerg series sounded like crap or anything, but there was (IMHO) a night and day difference, and frankly, the box covered description pretty well sums it up. Not that when you listend to the Synergy's you would ever think to yourself "gee, this sounds muffled," but when I listened to the reference series it seemed so much more detailed and alive. I bought an rf-35 based surround system (see system profile), and I'm thrilled with it. You couldn't get me to buy Synergy's now if you paid me (ok, that's a lie; if you paid me enough I'd get any speakers...it could help finance rf-7s!).

Not everyone likes the reference line better. Definitely try to listen to them yourself. But my personal advice (based on my own taste) is to get Reference speakers, and try to step up to at least the rf or rb-35 level. If you have the money, get rf-7s and have a system that blows mine away.

But do try to listen to them for yourself, so you can make up your own mind!

Scott

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/21/2005 11:33:19 PM Underhanded Penguin wrote:

Don't worry Steve. The difference really isn't night and day. Trey the mod even mentioned how similar sounding the F3 was to the RF35.

----------------

actuallly you are taking that way out of context... trey said that they are similiar size, same size drivers, cabinets, and basic crossover settings, but the drivers between the f-3's and the refrence are way way different as is the quality of the crossover, adn the vineers are different as well. There is a difference.

Also A/B-ing a set of speakes is a really horrible way to test a different set of speakers because recievers often use different processing methods between the A and B speakers not to mention different power ratings and often most people use different kinds of speaker wire etc.

The refrence is a better build speaker. Sound wise, they may be similiar and its up to the BUYER to make the choice if it is worth it! I personally think the ref is a nicer speaker, but if i were to buy them i would think long and hard about the two.

not spouting off at all, when i made my initial purchases, i had reference and synergy in the same room, running off the same equipmenti spent maybe an hour going from 1 to the other, playing a few discs, and it was clear that synergy was the lower end product, more like polk than klipsch, so yes i have done the comparisons, on those and many many other makes and models, it is my hobbie after all, not just a one time purchase, matter of fact i have sold more equipment than i own, that is what this hobbie does to you, along the line you learn

Don't get me wrong, the ref's are definitely a better speaker than the synergy's. But if you're in teh same boat as me, the ref's are alittle out of budget for the time being. I've compared them both, and no doubt to it, the ref's are superior, but only if you have the extra $$$. At this point in time, it's not worth it on my budget. But some day, I will be the proud owner of an all ref system.

I was in Best Buy the other day buying DVD's. Someone in the Home Theater area cranked up some speakers to check them out. I walked over, and was pretty impressed. I don't know what model they were, but they were the largest Klipsch that BB had on the floor (Synergies). Nice looking and sounded good.

However, when he really cranked them up they distorted badly. I was disappointed as they impressed up until that point. I didn't check out the price or model, but I can tell you I've never gotten any distortion from my RF-7's - at any volume. Not sure if bad electronics should take some of the blame.

----------------

On 2/23/2005 6:02:36 PM Darren wrote:

I was in Best Buy the other day buying DVD's. Someone in the Home Theater area cranked up some speakers to check them out. I walked over, and was pretty impressed. I don't know what model they were, but they were the largest Klipsch that BB had on the floor (Synergies). Nice looking and sounded good.

However, when he really cranked them up they distorted badly. I was disappointed as they impressed up until that point. I didn't check out the price or model, but I can tell you I've never gotten any distortion from my RF-7's - at any volume. Not sure if bad electronics should take some of the blame.
----------------

Trust me, I had the F-3's hooked up to a Denon 3805 to compare them with some Def Tech's. The Klipsch are capable of SLAUGHTERING your hearing.

I keep the receivers and such setup correctly, but who knows if they had the bass and treble maxed out or something, or the POS distrubution system was screwed up.

TRUST ME, the F-3's are LOUD AS HELL. 10.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 2/23/2005 10:48:33 AM Colin wrote:

heard both, not at BB, but at Tweeter, Reference is much better, but maybe the Synergy are the better deal now, plus he can sell them for what he paid for them when he trades up to real speakers (Heritage)!

11.gif

----------------

good call!

I have tried this. Originally, I bought F-3s from BB...I got them home and didn't like them.....not enough bass and not a clear sound (to me)......I was about to not buy any klipsch until I found what a good deal I could get on the RF-35s......to me the difference was night and day (this is after demoing both at home).

To tell you the truth, If you want to support BB I thought the JBL in the same price range sounded much better than the Klipsch.

Many hear are talking about cranking a speaker to very loud volumes. This is not a way to test speakers. If a speaker clips at BB ask yourself, what are they driving those with? At best probably a HT receiver from Sony. If all you want to do is rock you probably are not looking for refined sound anyway.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 4:26:54 PM Dylanl wrote:

To tell you the truth, If you want to support BB I thought the JBL in the same price range sounded much better than the Klipsch.

Many hear are talking about cranking a speaker to very loud volumes. This is not a way to test speakers. If a speaker clips at BB ask yourself, what are they driving those with? At best probably a HT receiver from Sony. If all you want to do is rock you probably are not looking for refined sound anyway.
----------------

Yamaha 5760's - more than up to the job.

The issue is the switching system, not good at all.

----------------

On 2/24/2005 4:26:54 PM Dylanl wrote:

----------------

I couldn't agree with you more....after not wanting the synergy, I almost went for JBL E80 or E90.....glad I found the reference.....

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:53:19 AM kenratboy wrote:

Oh thanks, I am about ready to buy the Synergy's because I work at BB/Magnolia and now I feel bad about doing this.

----------------

Used to be (last year) that any BB employee could get an employee discount on any of the Klipsch speakers, including Reference and Heritage. I go this info from the Atlanta regional BB manager. This may have changed, however. It pays to inquire.

Jerry Rappaport