Are analag FM tuners obsolete?

DizRotus

It's my understanding that digital FM will eventually be the universal broadcast standard. If so, what becomes of the vintage FM tube tuners? Will they still work? Will they require converters? If they still work at all, will their performance be compromised?

In short, does it make any sense to tweak the old Dyna FM-3?

----------------

On 2/19/2005 7:43:13 AM DizRotus wrote:

It's my understanding that digital FM will eventually be the universal broadcast standard. If so, what becomes of the vintage FM tube tuners? Will they still work? Will they require converters? If they still work at all, will their performance be compromised?

In short, does it make any sense to tweak the old Dyna FM-3?

----------------

1)people will still use them

2)yes

3)no

4)no

5)yes,tweak it16.gif

What's the scoop? I don't understand this thread. I was thinking of purchasing Rega's FM tuner to match my other Rega stuff. It's about $750, so I don't want to invest in it if FM is dying. Do you mean standard old FM stations will quit broadcasting, and if so, when?

There are quite a few FM stations already broadcasting in both digital and analog formats. The new digital broadcasting is referred to by some as high definition radio or HD radio.

My understanding is that the new technology will also spread to AM radio in the near future. It is not expected that stations will discontinue analog broadcasts for several years.

Ray

IBOC.....In Band On Channel....Both analog & digital (HD) will both be broadcast symeltaniously. Analog will be around for along time. But if your going to buy a new tuner Ide get a HD unit coming out this year. Of course the high quality types like the Day Sequerra will start at $ 2500. Some cheaper units by other companys are coming out this year.