Remote Volume conrtols

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am about to buy a pre-amp kit, and i remember the owner told me there was a few companies that sold remote control system that i can add to the volume control to motorize it, this is of great interest to me and being able to purchase this kit. if anyone knows of any companies that make them and there website that would be great thanks!

The Cary remote for my SLP-94 preamp is a wonder to behold.

It is a machined block of aluminum with only three buttons: mute, volume "-", and volume "+".

Anodized black, with rounded corners, and flush-mounted allen-head screws.

There is something very appealing about it's simplicity and the solid-ness of it's weight while in your hand.

Hands down it stands out as a winner when compared to all of the rest of my various remote controls. I actually enjoy watching the expression on a visitor's face each time I hand it to them to control the volume during a listening session. Never fails to elicit a comment similar to this, "Wow, now t-h-i-s is a remote control".

YMMV

I have not tried either...I think the one suggested by the cary guys is pretty much what is used in the creek OBH-10 (I cannot remember where I read that though) and that unit is totally transparent, I own the creek unit and use it. which brings me to a thought, the creek unit is only $225-249 retail (maybe less discounted or used), you could take it apart and install the guts inside your preamp chassis, no? that unit is TRANSPARENT with a capital T. tony

Guest Anonymous

well, is an attenuator, have a standard size, ie will it be able to work with exsisting knobs on my pre-amp? It sounds really nice, and I think it could work, but I don't want to buy something and take it all apart and find out i won't be able to use it....

I own 5 OBH-10's and use them all the time. They're great when you have an older receiver or tube amp and you want to have a remote. I find them to be totally transparent in sound. In fact, I preferred the OBH-10 to my AES preamp on my Khorn system.

I don't believe the OBH-10 is manufactured anymore. Too bad, I think Creek dropped the ball on that one. There's a great demand for a compact, inexpensive unit like that out there. As the market of vintage tube equipment continues to grow, the demand will be even greater.

I would also worry about being able to take apart an OBH-10 and use the parts in a preamp. Unless you're electronics-savy, I think you might have a problem integrating it properly. Maybe I'm wrong. If someone could chime in here that would be great. I'm thinking of doing that someday myself. Is it as simple as interrupting the output wires at the RCA jacks and wiring directly into the guts of the OBH-10?

The only problem I have with the OBH-10 is that you can't change the frequency of the remote, so using two of them in the same system is tricky. You have to locate them as far apart as possible in the rack and carefully aim the remote at the one you want to adjust.

Greg

Guest Anonymous

well, I am pretty sure I can manage the connection aspect of it, all you are doing when wiring it in would be replacing you original attenuator in your exsisting pre-amp. but yes you pretty much just chop into the rca lines in your pre-amp to do it. I can still get a creek, but I don't know if it will work with out having it physically in my hands to look at, and that is where my problem is, i think that i am just going to buy one of the kits and moidify it, i was also thinking that i may be able to modify the one it has by using a motor and a belt, kind of like a TT, and having the motor outside of the pre-amp completly, and then i could use a remote control system to control the motor, the only problem with that is, a stepped attenuator click and i don't think i would be able to keep enough tension on the band to get it to "click" the volume up and down. I have no ida what to do! i really do not want a motorized POT in my system, i really have not heard much good from the sound aspect of those.....