Trade R-35 System for RVX/RSX ??? Need Advice.

RayoVac

I recently upgraded to RF-35s in the front with a RC-35 center and RB-25s in the Rear. I have an SVS 20-39 PC Plus running all the bass. The SVS does in exceptional job in my room and I don't even pass LFE to my fronts. All speakers set to small. I run a Yami HTR-5790 for power.

My room size is 20x30 with Vaulted ceilings to about 10', the Theater area is 20' wide by about 15' deep. The RB-25s are on Omnimounts behind the listening position about 6 foot off the floor.

So here is problem.

WAF!!!! When my wife came home and saw those RB-25s hanging on the walls... she about blew a gasket. She does not seem as put out by the RFs but... man-o-man... she is not happy about those RBs hanging up there. So I asked her.. "When you knew I ran the wire, mounted the boxes... before the drywall even went up, what did you think would be there". Of course her response was "I don't know, some of those small little cute ones like we have seen in Best Buys". She is referring to Bose!!!! YUCK!

So in researching WAF compatible options... I showed her some pics of the RSX-5s and asked her what she thought. She felt those were much nicer size wise.

My questions: Has anyone compared R-35s to RVX-54s? I was thinking RVX-54s with a RVX-42 in the center and the RSX-5s in the back. If you have compared them... do you think I will be losing much by dumping the 35s for the RVX, RSX? I am not worried much about the low end, as I mentioned the SVS is more the capable of handing it. Are the RSX-5s the appropriate choice for the Surrounds? We primarily use the system for movies with an occasional NON-Critical listening of music (ambiance sound etc.).

One last note... non of my local Klipsch retailers have the RVXs... so I don't really have the option to compare the sound. And unlike some... I LOVE the "Brightness" of a Klipsch. Even running a Yamaha... I have no complaints currently (well other then I find the RC-35 a bit boomy and muddy in the midrange).

I know this was a long read, I appreciate any input those "in the know" could provide. Thanks in advance,

Raymond

I guess a system with Klipschorns, a Belle center and LaScala rears is out of the question huh?2.gif

Did you show her the RS-35's? With light walls, the white ones will melt into the room.They would be a better match for your Reference fronts. (Even when you sneak in the RF-7s while she's out on a trip to her sisters.)11.gif

Good luck!

Rick

With Audio sometimes the wives just don't get it, do they?

I am anxious to see what the RVX floorstanders look like in person. The dealer here does not have them in either.

With the RVX and the RSX for surrounds they would certainly look pretty sleek and go well with one another.

Good Luck with whatever you choose.

----------------

On 2/22/2005 7:58:49 AM 3dzapper wrote:

I guess a system with Klipschorns, a Belle center and LaScala rears is out of the question huh?
2.gif

Did you show her the RS-35's? With light walls, the white ones will melt into the room.They would be a better match for your Reference fronts. (Even when you sneak in the RF-7s while she's out on a trip to her sisters.)
11.gif

Good luck!

Rick

----------------

Yes... We went to the local Klipsch dealer over the weekend and they had some RS-3s sitting out. I held it up to the wall and did the "See honey this is how it would look". She was somewhat indifferent and still thought it looked too big.

I have not seen an RSX-5 in person... but the few I have seen pictures of compared to scale (items in view around the speaker) they seem to be considerably smaller.

My thinking is that if I am not sacrificing a ton or even maybe if the RVX/RSX improves in areas over the 35s (Imaging, Center Clarity etc.) it may be worth the change.

Of course at the same time I am feeling like just saying screw it and moving up to a full R-7 room!!! 11.gif

Seriously though... not wanting to sacrifice on what I have already and hearing some preliminary good comments about the RVXs... I figured it is worth investigating what others think of these... granted they are not Heritage, Ultra or even R-7 comparable, but do folk feel they are worthy of the Klipsch badges they wear? And more importantly are they worthy of the "Reference" category? Or do we feel they should be along side the Synergy's at Best Buy???

I am in your exact situation. When I brought home the RF35 system...my wife freaked! The RS35's are pretty wide and posed a problem for me. I actually swapped those out and placed the RF15's in the rear and they hid better behind some "fake trees/ficus" we have in the rear corners.

I had the opportunity to audition both the RVX54 and the RF35's. To my ear... the RF35's sounded fuller and presented a wider and more dense sound stage. Both speakers had detailed extension and midrange....because I was able to quickly A/B the two...I could determine the advantages of the RF35. If I would have only listened to the RVX system...I would have been satisfied and had a happier wife! Does this advantage outweigh the potential "marital strife" caused by the "manliness" of thr RF35's...who knows? I did hear a complete RVX54 setup: (4) RVX54's and the RVX42 for the center....sounded really good! Reminded me of the sound from the DefTeck Mythos...really nice!! I think you would be very satisfied with the RVX system! Also...the RVX will play loud...so don't think it is wimpy!! You already have a great sub...so the RVX 54's won't have to do heavy lifting...3.gif

post-17283-13819261962262_thumb.jpg

Mike,

I am sorry... but I was cracking up. I read your first paragraph quickly... pretty much just read "swapped the RS35s" then noticed you had an attachment... after opening it and figuring out the illustration... I was rolling on the floor!!! I was thinking... Yeah... those RF-15s are MUCH smaller then a couple of RS-35s. Then I sat here thinking "Man... what kind of bracket would you use to hang those beasts on the wall!!!!"

Seriously though... your comments are exactly what I was looking for. The fact that you were able to A/B the 35s and the RVX was interesting. I was hoping though that you would not have favored the 35s!! The setup you audtioned... did they run the RSX in the rear... or did you have the opportunity to hear the RSXs?

I really like my RF-35s and the RB-25s seem fine. Other then the WAF on the surrounds, my only other compelling reason to want a change is my center. I have the RC-35, and as other have noticed (complained) I frequently find myself wanting for better mids out of it. Womans voices are fine.. but a mans voice is typically muddy and boomey. We find ourselves doing the "what did they just say" a LOT! I was tempted to work towards an RC-7 to fix that problem... but then that would lead me to RF-7s and RS-7s. Still not helping the WAF! That is why I started to think of the RVXs. Also the Center is VERY important to me... if I found the 54s a bit weak compared to the 35s I could live with that as long as the RVX center was STRONG.

Here is a link to some PICs of the current setup http://www.pbase.com/rayovac/home_theater

The System I heard had (4) RVX54s and (1) RCX-4 for the center. It sounded very strong....and if I had not been able to (quickly) A/B the two systems...I would have thought that the RVX was on par with the RF35's...the difference was not earth shattering...however, the RF35's are fuller in the mid bass. Regarding the RCX...it sounded a little thinner than the RC35. The "chestyness" in the vocals that you have experienced..is there...but it is amplified by placing it underneath the TV. If you have to do this...make sure that the woofers break the plane of the shelf/cabinet. This will clean up the response somewhat. If you go with the RVX's...you will be very satisfied. Sounded great with movie material...and even better with music! From viewing your pictures...I feel the RVX's would aesthetically fit that space better! I attached a picture of my "hidden" RF15's.1.gif2.gif2.gif

post-17283-13819261964732_thumb.jpg

I spotted your RF-15 hiding behind that plant right away... Fido gave it away!!! 2.gif

Just kidding... you are correct it hides back there nicely. Is it high enough for you? Sofa back looks low enough to hear the rears.

Yes I have the RC-35 pulled right out a bit past the edge of the shelf. You comments are interesting about the position... I wonder if I mounted it on a shelf above the Sony if it would help the sound? Problem is the front of the sony is a good two feet from the wall behind it... that would be one UGLY shelf. The Television manufactures (of the DLP/LCDs) should mold in a shelf even with the top of the set.. they should know we have big centers we want up there!!!!

So you did not get to hear the RVX-42? That was what I was thinking for the center... also I am still wondering about the RSX-5 for the surrounds, if any one has any info on them. Well if I were stupid enough to do something without hearing them... it does sound (based on your findings) that the RVX-54s for my mains would not be a horrible idea.

Anyone else out here with experience with these models?