Less Connections = Better Sound?

Ritz

I have a Niles SVC-4 speaker/amplifier selector that I have had for 15 years or so that I find is very valuable to me for convenience of use. It allows me to have 2 amps running at same time and to alternate/adjust volume of up to 4 pairs of speaker in different rooms. I can have it louder upstairs than downstairs and play different musice at the same time, for example.

Anyway, I value the unit as indispensible but have noted that some opine that more connections mean less quality of sound. Is that a hard and fast rule in anyone's opinion?

Also, with specific reference to the SVC-4, does anyone know a technical reason that it degrades a system or that it has known or inherent flaws?

Thanks in advance for your interest and comment.

Gerry Ritzert 1.gif

Sound degradation really depends on what you're using for a switchbox. The $20 ones at Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.....forget it.

I wouldn't worry about the Niles. While I'm not familiar with the model in question, I do use a Niles DPS-1 amp switcher. I've noticed no degradation in sound, and would expect similar results from their other products.

If you are concerned though, just try it without and see if there's any difference.

Agreeing with the above replies, but to add that in addition to the actual connections to the box, there has to be switches and/or relays inside the box that offer a chance for a poor connection. Imagine you're trying to jump start a car, but can only get to within 100 feet of it for whatever reason. Since you're a traveling salesman for a jumper cable company, that isn't an issue for you, you have 20 10 foot sets in your trunk. However, once you link them all together, if you don't have a good connection at any of the ends, you'd need to check the Pos and Neg of each jumper cable where it attaches to the next one. I know, line loss through cable length, gauge of cable, etc., just work with me here and assume it's HUGE cable, alright?

As a side note, if you're using this for swtiching between sources and rooms, is it safe to assume you are using it for background music and not critical listening? If so, then some degradation from the connections is probably acceptable, you probably would have to do a direct A/B from switchbox IN the circuit to switchbox OUT of the circuit to hear a change. Use it for what's it's designed for and be happy. 1.gif

Thank, Russ, Shade, and CTBB. Appreciate your time. No loose connections and I don't note any degradation even in the context of critical listening. In fact, I have 3 of the devices and even use it in my 'critical listening room' setup and it allows for varying volume levels or doing some a/b testing just to try to learn the sound differences between cornwalls and fortes and heresys It allows so much flexibility that I really value them.

I was just wondering if someone had an identifiable weakness in such a set up. I think the devices are well made and quality items. Of course, I do not think I have the level of a discriminating hear on the level that some some members possess.

I had also wondered why I had not read more (any) comments on the SVC-4 (there is a later version SVL-4AB as well)(I do not believe Niles is making either model anymore) since I found them so helpful. Just curious, I guess. Sorry, I have no pictures of them to post for ease of reference purposes.

Gerry

Guest Anonymous

when my parents buil their summer home, they wired in cieling speakers thoughout the whole house and bedrooms, they used a niles 4 zone control system similiar set-up that you have and model # is slipping me right now, but i notice that its not as clear as it could be all the time with everythig running, but it still works better than anything i have seen for the price

701. I have not noticed a clarity issue but will keep listening. Anyone have any expeience with the Russound products? I have seen a 4 speaker 2 amp box they make. I think they are out of Maine. Wondering if they make a good product.

Gerry

The quality of wiring and switch points in the unit could be a weak link as well. Also these units almost without exception require much longer lengths of line-level wire.

These may or may not present noticeable degradation. They certainly wouldn't make anything sound better, but they obviously serve a vital purpose to you, and would to me as well in a similar situation. That all being said, a few well (or poorly) placed acoustical elements in the listening area would most likely make a more noticeable effect in either direction.

I'm usually one for splitting hairs. I'm not sure what's come over me...